Can Gumpaste Cake Topper Be Put In Fridge

Decorating By denisel Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 10:28pm by denisel

denisel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denisel Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 5

hi all

im just wondering if i decorate cake with fondant and want to store it in the fridge for a while, can i place a gumpaste cake topper on top of the cake or will it soften . is it best to leave it till just before presenting

please if ye can help

4 replies
Rosanaymi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosanaymi Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 5

I would not put the decorated cake in the fridge because when you take it out it will start to sweat. And yes the gumpaste will get soft, i would put it in a dry place. Sometimes if you want to keep the gumpaste decorations for a long period of time you can store it inside the oven, turn off obviously... hope this helps

Goldberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goldberry Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 5

Never put gumpaste or fondant in the fridge. There is too much moisture in there and it will just end up as a soggy mess. Always store in a nice dry box (preferrably not a plastic container). It will last for years this way.

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 5

I put fondant covered cakes and cakes fondant accents/decor in the fridge all the time with no issue. If it is a model or figure I leave that off and let it hang out on the counter or in a box in a cool dry place, but anything small or that doesn't stand up, I have had no problems with that being in the fridge and coming back to room temp okay....

denisel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denisel Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 5

thanks all. i too have put fondant covered cakes in the fridge i know the cake does get condensation once it comes out but it dries in okay.

if u say not to put them in the fridge wud it not matter if the cake is filled wit buttercream . i often have to deliver the cake the nite before so this has always confused me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%