How Do I Paint On My Cake?

Decorating By bubbleschik11 Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 8:49pm by TexasSugar

bubbleschik11 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 7

I watch all the cake decorating shows on TV and always see them painting designs onto their cakes, but what recipe do they use? Do they water down food coloring or icing colors? If anybody can enlighten me, it would be greatly appreciated!

6 replies
Meagan84 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 7

I've had good luck with painting using just airbrush colors right out of the bottle. Another thing you can try is thinning down your paste colors with some clear alcohol (I use vodka). If you use the gel straight from the bottle, it won't paint smoothly. hth!

allaboutcakeuk Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleschik11

I watch all the cake decorating shows on TV and always see them painting designs onto their cakes, but what recipe do they use? Do they water down food coloring or icing colors? If anybody can enlighten me, it would be greatly appreciated!

I use paste colours watered some with alcohol or if you want to do something really intricate you can also use cocoa butter painting
icon_smile.gif

bubbleschik11 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 7

Vodka...I'll have to try that, thank you!

TexasSugar Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 7

There are several things you can do, none are right or wrong, just different.

I like airbrush colors. They are already thinned down and ready to go, and they dry well.

You can use color paste/gel along or mixed with lemon extratc, vodka or everclear. This seems to remain tacky for me and never completely dries.

At the convention this year I say Keith Ryder take white piping gel and add colors to it to make a 'paint' for a one stroke method.

You can also take luster dusts or powder food colors and mix them with lemon extract, vodka or everclear to paint with.

bubbleschik11 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 7

These airbrush colors have to be edible, right??? Where can I find them?

TexasSugar Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 7

Yes they are made to go on a cake.

Americolor has a line of them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%