Decorating By Monique1 Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 6:37pm by Kiddiekakes

Monique1 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 10

I have a co-worker that I am doing her son's birthday cake. This will be my first time ever charging. So I am clueless on pricing. But I am doing a Winnie the Pooh 2 Tier cake. One will be 14in cake pan and 8in. All fondant. The inside will be buttercream and the filling will be guava (both of them).The designs will be fondant and the figures will be plastic. So any advice I will appreciate it.

9 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 10

Wow..That sounds like a big cake....I woould base it on the serving amount that each cake charge $5.00 per serving for my fondant covered cakes...Then I charge extra depending on embellishments...inside pillar system likes plates and pillars and boards etc...

a 14 inch round double layer serves 78
a 8 inch round double layer serves 102...I would be charging at least $500.00 but then you have to determine skill level etc and find a price to charge that is comfortable for you.Good Luck!

leily Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 10

location also play a big part in it. I can't charge as much in Iowa as others do in NY or CA b/c our cost of living is lower.

My price with the 102 servings would be $2.50/serving = $255
My only additions would be for the plastic toys. I do cost of toy plus 20%

Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 10

Yeah..I understand location but you have to consider your time as well..I charge $3.00 a serving for Buttercream....Unfortunatley there is no way I would do a cake that size for $255.00...By the time you calculate ingredients,time baking,electricity costs,decorating time,Extra embellishments, cost of toys etc...You will only be making about $8.00 an hour or less...I'm sure you are worth more...LOL...Don't undersell yourself just to offer a large cake to a friend or just because you may want the order..Your time is worth it!!

yums Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 10

I figured out exactly how much an egg, cup of flour and so on cost so I had the amount it actually cost me to make the cake,icing and filling. I have idea what guava filling is but if you have to buy a container of something off the wall that you will only use this one time, I add that entire cost into the cake as well. Then I get dowels,boards, and the plastic stuff and add that in. Then I figure out how much I want to make. I don't do a per hour because the cu wants a price and sometimes everything goes together great and sometimes it is a pain in the butt!

Monique1 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 10

Thank you all for your responses. My only thing is that I remember making a 14in cake for my daughter's birthday and we don't cut cakes the wilton way. We just slice down and around. She is having 30 adults which is for the cake and i forgot to mention I have to make 25 cupcakes for the kids on top of that. I was thinking of charging $75.00 for everything.

Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 10

Sorry Monique1 not trying to be rude but you are giving the cake away for that price and that doesn't help us decoraters who are trying to sell our cakes and justify what we charge.It actually undercuts...It doesn't matter that you are cutting the pieces way bigger than the wilton chart...The standard industry sizes are based on that chart and really ..that is how you should be charging.When I am making a cake for a customer I don't care how they cut the cake after it's picked up from me or what size etc..I sell them a cake for how many servings they plan to serve/order or slightly more..If they get less..that's their problem.There is no way I would be making a cake that large for $75.00 bucks!If that is what you are comfortable with then that's your choice but you wouldn't be in business very long if you did....JMO icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 8:41pm
post #8 of 10

Not to be rude, but I laughed at that price! Out loud!

You can't give away cake cause that's how you cut it. Who cares if you just dig in to that 14 with a fork and call it one serving, there's still $$$ in ingredients and time in it. Customer wants to cut chunks, they order more.

Perhaps you need to establish if you really want to be a business. If so, charge an honest and fair price. Otherwise it's not long til you have a cheap cake lady rep and the burn out that follows.
If you want to work for free and just cover your costs, then sit down and do the math - but legally you are still a business with all that entails. But why ask business for pricing advice, if that's not the ball park you are in.
If you have zero intrest in being a business (or can't do it in ur state) then make the cake a gift.

Monique1 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:18pm
post #9 of 10

That is the reason I came on here to ask how much people normally charge. I've been making cakes but for family and have never really charged. So I am new to this and even though I am a little offended, I know it's only in good heart. So I appreciate all the responses.

Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 10

Please don't be offended..We are just trying to make you realize that your time and skill are worth more than a measly $75.00 for that size cake and 25 cupcakes....So many times I read about decoraters who charge next to nothing for their cakes and then they become busy(Because they are cheap and people know it)..Only to become tired,resentful of all the time and money you spend...You burn out fast and begin to dislike it....People also take advantage...Once you become known for cheap cakes and try to raise your prices...the orders disappear.Charge what you are worth now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%