How Do I Make Buttercream Not Crack?

Baking By mandymomof3 Updated 8 Sep 2010 , 3:53pm by aundrea

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:51am
post #61 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenscreativity

At the beginning of this on page 1, someone mentioned the whimisical bakehouse buttercream recipe and stated it's in the recipes..I can't find it..anyone help me find this recipe to try also??? Thanks!

Jenifer

http://forum.intotheoven.com/filling-recipes/1147-whimsical-bake-house-buttercream.html

I couldn't find it on CC, but I found it here.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:14pm
post #62 of 68

also, if we use the whimsical buttercream,,does it alter with coloring? I ask because butter itself does and wondered if it would with this..as it has butter in it?

Thanks!

Jenifer

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:37pm
post #63 of 68
Quote:

also, if we use the whimsical buttercream,,does it alter with coloring? I ask because butter itself does and wondered if it would with this..as it has butter in it?

Thanks!

Jenifer

http://forum.intotheoven.com/filling-recipes/1147-whimsical-bake-house-buttercream-2.html

If you scroll down a little you'll see a discussion about coloring it.
I have never made it, so I have no advice to offer, maybe someone else will chime in who has made it.
HTH

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 4:25pm
post #64 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzycakes

That's really weird that it has trans fat up there and not here! Well, looks like I have a reason to move back to Connecticut now.

In Utah the walmart shortening also doesn't have trans fats, so I use the Kroger brand and it works great!

Vimalai21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vimalai21 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 8:02pm
post #65 of 68
Quote:

Thanks!

Jenifer

Heres a link to a previous forum discussion about this buttercream
http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=689532&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 10:36pm
post #66 of 68

May I throw an idea out there. The times I have had buttercream crack seems to be linked with the time I take to apply it. It seems if I keep messing with it I do not notice it starting to crust but I am sure it does. Would it not make sense if it is beginning to crust and you keep moving it around the dryed crusted icing may not be seen at the time but with continued drying would show small cracks? Just a thought? Hope some of the experts will give us their idea on this.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 1:50am
post #67 of 68

I probably shouldn't throw my 2 cents in because I'm so knew at this but could it have anything to do with how thick its put on?
I was thinking to myself that if it was on too thinly it would crack easier than a thicker covering of buttercream...just thinking out loud, lol! icon_lol.gif

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 3:53pm
post #68 of 68

so glad to be back in on this topic! been offline all weekend- had the stomach virus go through the family. what a great labor day weekend. hehe.
to answer sugarshack question- i used your receipe exactly. all the correct measurements. the only thing i dont use is hi-ratio shortening. would that make that much of a differnce where cracks would show up?
to get back to indydebi receipe- im thinking of trying the crisco again, i switched to walmart brand after reading so much about making sure the veg. shortening had trans fat. but sounds like from her she didnt even notice a difference when crisco took out trans fat.
im on a mission to get my buttercream to stay smooth and no more darn little cracks!!
and im happy to be back here.....now that everyone home is healthy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%