How To Achieve A Matte Or Suede Look On Choc Fondant

Decorating By Punkinsmom Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 11:00pm by imagenthatnj

Punkinsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Punkinsmom Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 9

I've seen many pictures in the gallery of chocolate cakes that appear to have a powder coat that gives them a suede or velvety look. Is that cocoa powder? How is it applied? Does anything adhere after the powder coat is applied? I love the look and I'd like to do a quilted effect with pearls but I'm not sure the pearls will stick after the powder goes on.

8 replies
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 9

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6802189-.html

It says there:

Bible Book The ones I have done are leather bound look and I roll out a piece of chocolate fondant on a cutting board to give it the leather look - big enough to cover the top and the spine of the book and tuck this under to make it neat on the spine edge. I have the fondant overlaping a little at the front and let the corners curl downwards to look like a well used book. Use chocolate fondant for covers. If you want a suede leather look, dust the cover with cocoa powder before you do the Luster Dust painting. Cut a few strips for the binding edge and paint them with gold or copper or bronze Luster Dust and alcohol or extract using a fine tipped brush. Using the same paint, paint on the binding and/or the cover, HOLY BIBLE. Dry dust the pages with bronze.

Then there's this other link:
http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/features/crafts/food/sortinghatcake

"Dust the entire cake and brim with Coco powder to make it look like old suede."

Not sure about the pearls. But you're on the right track.

Punkinsmom Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 9

so you just tilt the cake and sift it on, simple as that? I guess I thought there would be some fancy technique!

imagenthatnj Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 9

I've never done it. But that seems to be it. Maybe someone with experience will tell you all about it!

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 9

I dust mine on with a big fat round blush make up brush. Load it on the brush well and then dust the cake as you would with luster dust. It works well for me.

Punkinsmom Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 9:38pm
post #6 of 9

awesome - thanks for the tip!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 9

Yes, thanks for the tips!! icon_biggrin.gif

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 9

Very cool! Thanks for the info!

imagenthatnj Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 11:00pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you, Karen! Everywhere they tell it to "dust it" but not what to use to do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%