Pancake Cake

Baking By sunlover00 Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 4:42am by cheatize

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 9

I've been experimenting with a new cake flavor: Pancakes and Bacon with Maple frosting. The flavor is great, but I can't get it to be moist and not "coffee cake" crumbly dry. I added more oil and also sour cream but it has NO affect on the finished product. I'm using 1 box of yellow mix and one box of buttermilk pancake mix, both made normally and then mixed together. Any suggestions?? I need to make it for a wedding this weekend!!!!!!! icon_surprised.gif

8 replies
SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 9

What about adding buttermilk instead of water?

sunlover00 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 9

I do use milk instead of water....maybe buttermilk would help! Thanx!

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 9

Bacon in cake? I'm in.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 9

You could also try adding a vanilla pudding mix. That seems to help raise the moistness factor.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 9

Can you cut back on the amount of pancake mix you put in? And are you using a pancake boxed mix that you just add water to or the mix where you add milk, eggs & oil, that might make a difference.
I think the box where you have to add milk, eggs & oil would be the better choice.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 9

I agree with Babs, if you're using equal parts cake mix and pancake mix you're going to get a pancakey texture. If I was going to "try this" I would probably take a WASC approach and use 1 cup of pancake mix instead of the 1 cup of extra flower in wasc and treat it as an additional not a full product. You will have to experiment with the pancake flavor but to me pancakes don't have a ton of flavor other than the syrup so maybe add some syrup to your liquid...and see if that ups the pancake flavor without you having to up the pancake mix..

Just some thoughts. Hope it goes well.

sunlover00 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 9

good ideas. I did use the cheap water kind but I think I'll break the bank (haha) and go with the eggs and oil kind.

I also went to purchase the Torani Bacon flavored syrup to add more bacon flavor than the real bacon pieces I put in, but they are out of stock! Darn it. Those syrups really add moisture but I didn't know the bride wanted this flavor until yesterday.

I'm going to have to "wing it" as I don't have time to experiment with 2 weddings this week and I'm out of town on Thursday. icon_sad.gif

Any more thoughts are greatly appreciated.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 4:42am
post #9 of 9

I ran across this earlier this week. Perhaps it will help you.

http://kitchendoughdough.blogspot.com/2009/05/cupcake-pancakes.html#comments

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%