Answering Stencil Questions

Decorating By nhbaker Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 4:27pm by mmellie

nhbaker Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 8

Thanks to all of you that posted such nice photo comments (attached cake photo again below). I've had a lot of questions as to how I did the stencil, etc. so I thought I'd post the answers here rather than try to do it on the galleries page.

Please note that this was my first attempt at stenciling so I'm happy to share with you how I did it, but it may not be the best or easiest way -- others are welcome to add input as to how they do it. Also, this was a dummy cake which I'm sure was a much easier medium than an real one!

I'll try as best I can to answer the many questions I've had. First, the damask is done with royal icing that I stenciled on using a hand-made stencil that I cut using my Cricut Cake. I did not cut the damask out of fondant, etc. using the Cricut Cake (that would have been too crazy!! I'm still struggling to figure that part of that machine out -- so far, not so good!!). I used the SCAL program and found a pattern online that I played around with to come up with the damask look. My stencil was about 4" x 7". To get the pattern on the cake, I attached the stencil to the cake with pins (which worked great on a fake cake, not so sure how it would work on a real one!!), applied the royal icing, pealed it off and let it dry before moving on the next section.

The section that holds the roses near the base is a florist foam that I cut to the height I needed, glued onto a cardboard round base, glued another round on top and then covered it in white foil (so any background you might see would be white). I put toothpicks into the bottoms of the roses and stuck them into the foam.

The "cake" sizes are 14", 12", 10", 8", 6".

Hope this helps everyone!

I'll let you know how I do (not much of a contest as I rarely have any competition and top prize is a whopping $10! Obviously, I do it for the exposure, not the money!).

7 replies
nhbaker Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 8

Sorry, can't get the photo to attach but it's the black & yellow one in my pics.

soph917 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 10:37am
post #3 of 8

So glad I saw this post, cause I was one of those who asked how you did that stencil! Thanks for explaining. Although I have no idea what the SCAL program is. I have a lot to learn about that Cricut Cake.... I really have no clue how people are able to use software with it! icon_confused.gif

nhbaker Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 11:52am
post #4 of 8

I get ya there!

SCAL stands for Sure Cuts A Lot. I'm still struggling to get it to work (hate reading directions, would rather just dive in!!). My 13 yo son is the one who's been the best at it and showed me how to work it to the point I'm at now!!

Yeah, the Cricut Cake is Ok but I've found it to be more frustrating than anything else. Truly a learning process.

mmellie Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:18pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you for describing how you achieved that absolutely beautiful cake! I still have a few questions, I'm a beginner. I have a cricut cake as well, and have of course had all of those problems too. When you say you cut the stencil with your cricut cake, did you use regular copy paper, or plastic sheets, or what material as your stencil? Also as you know, the cricut cake mat is not 'sticky' for paper use, like the normal cricuts, so how did you get your stencil material to stay in place while it was being cut? And finally, I've never done the royal icing with stencils before, but would like to try since my cricut cake is giving me you smooth the icing on with a paintbrush, or spatula onto the stencil? I'm just having a hard time figuring out how the royal would not spread (for lack of better term) under the stencil as well and ruin the design...

Thanks so much for your help!!

nhbaker Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 8

I bought the cricut cutting mats with the sticky stuff on them. I purchased blank plastic stencils sheets and attached them to the sticky mat and then cut out the design using the Cricut.

As far as the royal icing, just make it stiff enough, like the consistency of buttercream icing, and it won't bleed under the stencil. I used a flat-edged icing smoother and applied a thin layer to the stencil/cake. Best thing to do it to practice it on a few times on a piece of parchment paper or cake circle first.

srkmilklady Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 8

I just got a cricut cake yesterday...still in the box. I didn't know you could cut stencils with it. Do you just use the regular blade that comes with it? I did see that you bought the sticky cutting mats. So it's okay to cut something other than fondant, or gumpaste with it?

mmellie Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 4:27pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much for your help, nhbaker!

Quote by @%username% on %date%