Pricing Cakes

Decorating By urbangrl2007 Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 11:53am by ncsmorris

urbangrl2007 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:27am
post #1 of 5

So I'm new to this whole cake decorating thing, and have sold a few cakes. I just finished the Wilton Gum Paste and Fondant class (and did quite well haha), and have had a request to do a wedding cake. I know such a big scale for a beginner, but I've talked to the girl and it's nothing major (nothing huge or overly fancy), so don't freak out. icon_biggrin.gif

Any ways, I was wondering how pricing generally works for doing gum paste flowers and such. I didn't know if I should do like 75cents to $1.50 per flower, or do like 6 for $5. How do you price that? They're not difficult, they're just incredibly time consuming. Especially depending on which ones you're doing and how many you need.

Also, What's the standard rate for a 2 layer, 8 in round cake? Cake 1: frosted and all icing decorations and Cake 2: fondant covered and fondant/gumpaste decorations.

Two more questions (I really hope someone answers :\\ ).
1: how long can you freeze a cake before you decorate it and still have it taste good? Like if the cake was made around Christmas and frozen, then taken out to be decorated for a wedding on January 8th.
2: How do you decide how much cake to make based on the number of people attending the event (say if there were 100 people or so).

Thank you to who ever answers any (hopefully all) of these questions!!

4 replies
goodiegoddess Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:41am
post #2 of 5

Do a search, there are TONS!! of topics about pricing.

Welcome to CC, but you might just have opened a can of worms......

illustreeous Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 5:40am
post #3 of 5

definetly agree you'll probably get more info through the search! Welcome :] Especially when you search you'll get 30+ opinions !!!! goodluck!
oh, my personal feedback is that I don't ever freeze my cakes but I've heard people do it up to a week if i'm not mistaken (what i've read)
& pricing is difficult.. everyone has their own thoughts and opinions on their quality of work + experience mixed in with time & cost.
btw Goodluck!

sugarLOVEbySierra Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 6:09am
post #4 of 5

Hi!! Welcome!! I def prefer an iced cake over fondant. I use fondant for detailing but prefer to ice the majority of the cake in buttercream. Only bc feedback from fondant is usually "hmmm.. this stuff is interesting?" or "what is this? Are you supposed to eat it?" or " it has a waxy gum like texture.. i don't enjoy biting into it." sooo.. I prefer to not cover the whole cake in fondant. On the bright side.. it give a really nice look to the cake! For the flowers.. i'm not sure about pricing mabe 20.00 for a dozen?? I know they usually are very expensive. I charge 2.50 per slice for a buttercream cake and 3.00 per slice for fondant. The reason for my pricing: I don't want to be classified as a "professional" so, I don't want to give professional prices. When I get a bakery up and going then I'll start to charge more. So, for now i'm making a little money but, not a huge amount on any cakes i'm doing.. i'm still learning. hmmm your def not going to want to freeze a cake for too long. You'll probably start to get that freezer taste? I don't freeze any cake except for a 3D cake that has just been cut into a shape. I'll put a crumb coat on it and throw it in the freezer for a half hour or so to firm back up. For your last question... deciding how many people a cake will feed. A party cake and a wedding cake are going to feed different amounts of people. A typical wedding cake slice is 1in x 2 inches.. here is a link to help with cutting and serving amounts...

Good luck!!! Your going to do great!!

ncsmorris Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 11:53am
post #5 of 5

Hey! Welcome to CC! First of all, I really hate to burst your bubble, but it may not even be legal for you to sell a cake made in your home in your state. If it is legal in your state, you would need to call the Department of Agriculture (at least it's the DOA in my state) to find out what the inspection requirements are.

As for your other questons:

I'm not sure about the freezing because I don't freeze; but I know others do, so maybe someone can give you some guidance here.

Pricing varies by area. Around here, it's anywhere from $4 to $6 per serving. (This also ties into your other question.) Servings are calculated using industry standard of 2-in. x 1-in. servings, assuming your cake height is 4 inches.
Here is the Wilton guide:
Here is another popular guide:

Quote by @%username% on %date%