Pillow Cake Help!

Decorating By gissellr78 Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 1:36am by Acjohnson

gissellr78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gissellr78 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:11am
post #1 of 4

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1365201.html

Hi all,

I want to make this pillow cake for my mom's birthday in a week and i would like to know, what tool do i need to make the quilted pattern on the pillow. Also do i need a clay gun to do the tassels?

Is there another technique?

3 replies
fishabel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fishabel Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 11:16am
post #2 of 4

If you haven't got a quilting tool, I'd use a ruler to do the markings. The width of the ruler would be how thick the lines are. I would quickly do the quilting while the fondant is laying flat, then lay it over the cake. If you didn't want to buy a claygun you could hand roll out thin pieces or just use a flat piece and mark it to look like strands. I've also seen other pillow cakes where they have used a crimper (if you have one) to do the rope that goes around the middle. Nice looking cake. Good Luck.

gissellr78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gissellr78 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:13am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishabel

If you haven't got a quilting tool, I'd use a ruler to do the markings. The width of the ruler would be how thick the lines are. I would quickly do the quilting while the fondant is laying flat, then lay it over the cake. If you didn't want to buy a claygun you could hand roll out thin pieces or just use a flat piece and mark it to look like strands. I've also seen other pillow cakes where they have used a crimper (if you have one) to do the rope that goes around the middle. Nice looking cake. Good Luck.

Thank you so much. I will do the lines with a metal ruler i have icon_smile.gif

Acjohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Acjohnson Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:36am
post #4 of 4

I made a pillow cake for the first time a coupel of weeks ago. I free handed the lines on, they weren't perfect but it looked really nice. I used a children's medicine syringe(sp?) and stuffed it with fondant to make the tassels and other details.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%