About Fondant

Decorating By teddy0826 Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 4:07am by Cakepro

teddy0826 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teddy0826 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 1:55am
post #1 of 5

i have a question about Fondant. When you make a cake with Fondant the night before the event, how do you store it? I thought you should box it up, but when I watch the cake shows on TV they always put it in the frig. I thought you shouldn't refigerate Fondant? Also, when you make a buttercream cake the night before, do you refrig. it or box it up and let it sit onthe counter?

4 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:34am
post #2 of 5

Box it up, either way, and put it on the counter. No need for the fridge and the fridge can actually cause two issues..on is condensation on your cake and the other is the cake absorbing fridge odors. It's not necessary to refridgerate a finished cake unless the filling is perishable.

Cat

teddy0826 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teddy0826 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:42am
post #3 of 5

Thank You, that's what I thought too, but I was watching a cake show today and they stuck a fondant cake in the frig. and everytime I watch Cake Boss he is always sticking a fondant cake in the frig. Thanks for your advice.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:51am
post #4 of 5

I'm sure for most bakeries its a lack of space issue, not a preservative issue. Also, a bakery tends to be very hot so chilling a cake for a bit would help it hold it's non royal icing decorations. Unfortunately it can completely wilt fondant decorations. For those of us who work on one cake at a time, either in a rental kitchen or at our homes, space isn't quite the issue it is for a bakery turning out 100 cakes/pastries a day.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:07am
post #5 of 5

Cold cakes don't move, they don't settle, they don't bulge, they travel with MUCH more stability, they stay nice and happy and out of harm's way. For many of those who work on one cake at a time, the fridge is an excellent place for the finished cake.

Condensation has never been a problem for me, whether in my bakery's commercial reach-in cooler or my home refrigerators.

I don't leave cakes out at room temp because I don't like to. You'll have to figure out what YOU prefer. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%