Wedding Cake Flavors

Decorating By Tink1016 Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 6:00pm by michel30014

Tink1016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tink1016 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:28am
post #1 of 8

One of my best friends is getting married in 3 weeks and asked me to make her wedding cake. I agreed because she is such a good friend and I didn't have much else going on that weekend!

Anyway, she is planning this in a hurry and told me to make whatever I thought was best! icon_surprised.gif She wants me to pick what flavors and what fillings for her. She is just too busy planning and I guess the flavors of her cake isnt a priority right now. She said she trusts me completely to make it yummy.

So.... she wants it to be 3 tiers and wants it to be covered in fondant. What cake flavors and fillings would you choose? Would you make all three tiers the same or different?

Help!

7 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 10:39am
post #2 of 8

I always get good reviews with the Original WASC cake. I don't think you can go wrong with it. It is a versatile, durable cake that tastes pleasing to most people. I would use the same cake for all 3 layers. As for fillings, a vanilla BC is really simple (Sugarshack's or Indy Debi's) . They taste great with WASC and holds up to the heat etc... I use Rhonda's ultimate MMF because it is the best (not as sweet). But if you use choose to use the WASC and fondant, I suggest cutting the sugar by 1/3.
You could also do a red velvet (Caveman's or Chef Steph's) and use dreamy creamy white chocolate cream cheese frosting and mix canned strawberries in with the icing for your filling.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 8

Do you use cake mixes or make from scratch? If from scratch, the WASC cake is the best. However, if you use cake mixes and maybe even use the extender recipe with it, then I would suggest Duncan Hines French Vanilla cake mix. I get rave reviews for the DH French Vanilla.

Filling suggestions: strawberry cream cheese filling goes well with either of the above cakes. Some of my best cakes, use the french vanilla cake mix with extender recipe and strawberry cream cheese filling.

Other suggestions:
Raspberry or blueberry cream cheese filling.

I once tasted a wedding cake that was orange flavored cake with a blueberry cream cheese filling and it was AWESOME!!

Hope that helps!

Tink1016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tink1016 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks so much for your opinions!

Michel30014...I use both mixes and scratch recipes depending on what the customer is asking for. Is there a specific extender recipe that needs to be used with the french vanilla mix?

ChristineJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineJ Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 1:01am
post #5 of 8

Michele
Please let us know what recipe is used for the extenter????? Thank you also

michel30014 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 12:35pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1016

Thanks so much for your opinions!

Michel30014...I use both mixes and scratch recipes depending on what the customer is asking for. Is there a specific extender recipe that needs to be used with the french vanilla mix?

Sorry for the delay guys! The extender recipe I use with the French Vanilla is below.

Prepare cake mix as per package directions. Also, add the following:
1 egg
1 cup flour
8 oz. sour cream or yogurt
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla or other suited flavouring
1/2 small box of french vanilla pudding mix

Again, sorry for the delay! I get rave reviews on this recipe. It is so moist. Good luck!! icon_razz.gif

ChristineJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineJ Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 7:26pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you so much for the extender recipe. I take it you can use that for most cake mixes, Just make the pudding mix different with the different mixes??? Thank you again. Will be trying it. icon_biggrin.gif

michel30014 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineJ

Thank you so much for the extender recipe. I take it you can use that for most cake mixes, Just make the pudding mix different with the different mixes??? Thank you again. Will be trying it. icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, that is correct. Just change up the pudding mix for different cake mixes. I've never had anyone complain yet. lol icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%