Can You Cover A Square Cake In Pastillage

Decorating By Sharan Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 5:10pm by leslieannec

Sharan Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a Yo Gabba Gabba cake for my daughter. It will incorporate a Boombox (stereo)
I have fond that whenever I make a square cake the edges do not seem to look very sharp. They have more of a rounded look to them and often get air bubbles. I think I make my cakes too soft also.

I was thinking I might pre-make pastillage boards and cover the cake like a box... rather than with fondant.

Has anyone had experience doing this in the past? How do I do it?

Also, if it is a feasible option, what do I use to stick the edges together.

Failing that, can anyone tell me the best way to cover a cake in fondant and ensure I get hard edges.

The dimensions are will roughly be 10'L x 8"H x 6"W

7 replies
artscallion Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 8

One of the people on Food Network Challenge tried that a while back. They had a lot of problems because the cake never comes out the exact size you think it will. And matching angles and edges up is difficult when you can't really trim pastillage without risking chips and breakage.

Not saying it can't be done; just that they had an awful lot of trouble with it and ended up with a sloppy mess of a result.

imagenthatnj Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 8

I've never covered a cake with fondant, but I read a lot. Some people cover the cake with ganache before putting the fondant in. See it here, straight edges. Maybe you could try it.

http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/princess-dress-form-cake.html

imagenthatnj Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 8

And read it here too, same blog. Jessica Harris is here in Cake Central and she's very generous with her knowledge (I adore her blog!), so maybe she can tell you?

http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/zebra-shoeshoe-box-cake.html

cakeville82 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 8

You can make panels from fondant (let it dry overnight before applying and trimming) and get sharp edges that way.

lynndy-lou Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 8

Do you mean you would use pastillage instead of fondant? I have used pastillage for turrets but its inedible, its very hard and tastes vile.

imagenthatnj Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 10:58pm
post #7 of 8

Pastillage will be so hard. I hope you're not trying to cover the cake with it. I saw it done once but as a box that you would lift and the cake was inside, smaller and simply frosted with buttercream. I just forgot who did it here.

leslieannec Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 5:10pm
post #8 of 8

You can also lay the fondant over the cake, brush the underside of it near the edges with a little water so that it sticks to itself, and cut the edge with scissors so you get a crisp edge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%