Why Does Crusting Buttercream Crack?

Baking By aundrea Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 6:34pm by aundrea

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 15

its a mystery to me! i dont understand why my buttercream (i use indydebi recipe) seems to have cracks in it?
does this happen to anyone else and what if anything can you do to fix it.
it makes the cake look old and not too appealing.
TIA

14 replies
MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 15

Most crusting buttercreams will "craze" much like you see in old china and such. Whenever you move the cake, it tweaks the board just a bit, thereby shifting the cake a bit and causing the cracks.

Double up on your board for the base and it will help with the problem. I've never been able to eliminate it completly. And because Murphey lives at my house the crack is normally right in the middle of the cake! icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 15

Use sturdier boards. I use foamcore for all of mine, and heavy cakes, bigger than a 10" round two layer, get two thicknesses of foamcore.

aundrea Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 2:51am
post #4 of 15

thanks for the replies. but im getting cracks without moving the cake.
after i frosted the cake and it sitting there they will start getting cracks.
i use very sturdy foam core -doubled and tripled if needed.
and its in random places. it drives me crazy. because it looks so smooth then these cracks appear.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:11am
post #5 of 15

Below is a link to an article on icing problems that addresses multiple reasons for cracks in icing. Hope it is helpful.

http://thesugarlane.com/cracks-in-your-icing/

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:29am
post #6 of 15

I am sorry that yours is cracking, but mine does not. I have used indydebi's and had no problem. I have used buttercream dream(wonderful taste) and that doesn,t crack. I also have used wilton with the butter, shortening and i use whipping cream with that , and have no cracking issues. I hope that you get to the bottom of your problem. I also have used sugarshacks(sharon zambito)(wonderful taste) and no problem.

urbangrl2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
urbangrl2007 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 5:09am
post #7 of 15

It could also be the frosting/icing recipe you're using. I use the Wilton butter cream for everything. Be sure to use the store brand shortening that HAS transfats in it...none of that trans fat free stuff. That's what helps keep it all together. I was told this by a Wilton instructor. You can find their buttercream recipe on their site. Super easy to make. Hope this helps.

aundrea Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 5:21am
post #8 of 15

i use indydebi receipe and walmart veg shortening. i gave up on crisco once i realize there is not transfat in it.
it goes on smoothly and i can smooth it really nice.
but once it sits it starts to these little cracks. and it just looks old and nasty. like the cake itself is old.
i guess ill have to keep playing around with it.
its just frustrating when you have a perfeclty smooth cake then it start to look old.
omg - its reminding me of my skin......once smooth now old with crack-ing lines.! hahahah oh god i must be tired because i find that funny and its really not.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 8:46am
post #9 of 15

Part of the popularity of my icing is that it works with zero trans fat crisco. I never even noticed when crisco changed their formula. So the "never use zero trans fat" advice strictly depends on the recipe you're using. Because it works fine with my recipe.

I would think your icing is too dry and it's over-crusting because I don't have cracking issues from a cake that just sits there. Try adding more milk or more crisco (more fat = less crusting). I'd try the milk, first.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 2:03pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbangrl2007

It could also be the frosting/icing recipe you're using. I use the Wilton butter cream for everything. Be sure to use the store brand shortening that HAS transfats in it...none of that trans fat free stuff. That's what helps keep it all together. I was told this by a Wilton instructor. You can find their buttercream recipe on their site. Super easy to make. Hope this helps.

I'm a WMI and have been using the no trans fat crisco with no problems. So I don't think there is a rule that you have to use it.

aundrea Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 2:36pm
post #11 of 15

so indydebi- should i go back to using crisco? i do add milk. i love the cosistancy and everything about your receipe. the taste is to die for! i literally can eat it from my mixing bowl.
i 'assumed' that crusting bc needed to have transfat so i switchd to walmart brand. but if you use crisco and dont have the cracking problems then i will definately try it.
and its not like the entire cake gets crack its in come areas. it doesnt affect any part of the cake other than it looks like an old cake. that you would see in a supermarket that has passed its sell by date if you know what i mean.

aundrea Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 2:45pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoudek

Below is a link to an article on icing problems that addresses multiple reasons for cracks in icing. Hope it is helpful.

http://thesugarlane.com/cracks-in-your-icing/

thank-you for attaching that article. i just read it - very interesting.
and important tips to remember.
although this one did say use trans fat shortening or sweetex. which me for as a hobby baker i cant justify spending the money to sweetex.
thanks again

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:10pm
post #13 of 15

You're very welcome!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:18pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks Khoudek -- that's a great link!! icon_biggrin.gif

aundrea Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 6:34pm
post #15 of 15

so im feeling a test coming up. i have left over from this past weekend of cakes made with walmart brand shortening.
im gonna get crisco shortening and make it with that and see what happens.
like i said i absolutely love indydebi receipe just hating the cracks.
i hope it can get it to look indydebi cakes......that would be like stricking gold for me!![/img]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%