Fiesta-Themed Accents???

Decorating By KJ62798 Updated 30 Aug 2010 , 11:32pm by joy5678

KJ62798 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a fiesta-themed birthday cake for a friend who is turning 30. She wants ganache for the frosting so I need bright, colorful items to put on top of the cake.

I'm planning a striped, serape-style blanket in fondant to cover most of the top and give me a base for other items. I think I can handle chili peppers.

Any tips for how to make a sombrero? a cactus that stands up? any other suggestions?

4 replies
DefyGravity Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 5

Everything you said was pretty much going to be what I would suggest, haha. I'd definitely do the peppers, since I always think of food when I hear fiesta, and I always think of peppers when I'm going to cook Mexican food. Maybe a set of maracas?

ALVARGA Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 5

How about a margarita glass, a pair of maracas, confetti eggs, donkey with a serape blanket? Check out my FIESTA cookie in my pics. Cactus, sombrero, big colorful flowers......

KJ62798 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 5

My friend doesn't drink, so I'm skipping the margarita glass. icon_rolleyes.gif

Any ideas on how to shape a cactus in fodant so that it will stand up? I know I can put a skewer in the trunk, but what keeps the arms from falling off or down?

Sombrero--what to shape it on? Should I make a circle and then form that over something to get the hat shape or just do the brim w/a solid rounded cone for the top?

joy5678 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 5

I used a small bowl to shape the top part of my hat and just a big flat circle for the brim. You'll need to put something underneath the outer part of the brim to make it look more like a mexican hat. I used cotton ball pieces. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%