Stacking And Handling Cake

Decorating By megs_cakes Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 12:54am by megs_cakes

megs_cakes Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 4

I'm sure the answer to my question is here somewhere, but I haven't had much luck searching the forums so far. My question is in regards to stacking a cake. I have seen videos on how to stack it and insert support systems if need be, but I can never tell if each tier is on it's own board or not. It seems as if they aren't in most cases and to be honest, this terrifies me!

How does one go about picking up and handling a tier when stacking it or moving it to a different board? I recently had a cake order and while I was decorating the cake, my board got dirty and I didn't have time to cover it in fondant or anything to make it look prettier. I could have just moved the cake to a clean board, but there was no way I was going to try and pick it up. Either I'm doing something wrong or there is a secret trick that I haven't figured out yet! Any help? icon_smile.gif

3 replies
sweetnessx3 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 4

Hi Megs_cakes icon_smile.gif

I put each tier on its own cake circle/card board .

KJ62798 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 4

When I'm working on the tiers for a stacked cake, the bottom tier (2 layers + filling) goes on a thick cake drum or other sturdy base (layered cake boards, cake plate)

For the tiers that will be stacked, they get a cardboard cake board cut to the size of the cake and then I set them on a larger cake board so I can move them around w/o messing up the frosting.

When it comes time to stack--the support dowels/straws go into the bottom cake and the I lift the next tier onto those, taking it off the larger work board. A border hides the cardboard under the tier and I fix any blemishes if my fingers get into the cake.

HTH
Kristy

megs_cakes Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:54am
post #4 of 4

Thank you both! That makes the videos I've seen make a lot more sense now, I just needed somebody to explain those small details to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%