Rolling Pins / Fondant

Decorating By AmandaLeigh00 Updated 30 Aug 2010 , 7:08pm by AmandaLeigh00

AmandaLeigh00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaLeigh00 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 6

I've been working with the large Wilton rolling pin when working with fondant and recently realized a regular rolling pin with handles would help so much in actually covering cakes with fondant. I was thinking a wooden one would be best - that the aluminum and marble ones would make the fondant cold/dry and crack more. Anyone have any insight into this?

TIA!

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 6

I use a silicone rolling pin. Before that I had a wooden one, and it left a slight texture on the fondant, and the fondant stuck to it pretty badly. I also owned a marble one before and it was nice, but the handles broke off after not very long.

I would recommend either the silicone one (mine is Sil-pin brand) or an aluminum one, either one with handles and ball bearings for a nice smooth roll.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 6

I use only marble. apart from working on very small peices then i use a little plastic one icon_smile.gif

my marble one was made for rolling pastry, but its 18'' long so its perfect for fondant, it doesnt have handles and i never have issues with dryness or cracking icon_smile.gif

AmandaLeigh00 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, I thought I had read about the wooden ones sometimes leaving imprints of the grain on fondant, and I certainly don't want that! Thank you!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 6

The large aluminum ones work very well. The heavier the better............

AmandaLeigh00 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks guys! I saw someone else post before about the Thunder Group 18" aluminum ones and they're half the price on ebay as opposed to amazon, so I think I'll go that route. Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%