Cake Balls

Decorating By sonyalaura Updated 30 Aug 2010 , 7:38pm by Auntie_RaRa

sonyalaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sonyalaura Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 5

Hello all,
Please can somebody assist me with a cake ball problem. I tried making cake balls for the first time. The chocolate I used stiffened up pretty fast and did not look smooth on the balls like everyone elses I see. Also it was pretty messing trying to cover the balls. Im going for a smoother finish. Any suggestions?

4 replies
motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 5

are you freezing them?

And also you have to tap off the chocolate

sonyalaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sonyalaura Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 5

Yes...I froze them, but maybe not long enough. I wonder if it is the chocolate Im using. Before I knew it the chocolate started getting stiff and was not going on the balls smooth. Should I use a squeeze bottle??

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 5

What type of chocolate are you using? I've always had trouble with the Wilton's candy melts, they get solid way too soon.
Now I use Merckens, and they're great.
You can also use paramount crystals (basically flaked shortening) during the melting process to thin out your chocolate.

Good luck!

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 5

I don't freeze the bites before dipping, maybe pop them in the fridge for a few minutes when I need the table space. For me, the Wilton candy melts just didn't work...I only use Merkens. For my cake bite wedding cakes, I only use Merkens super white chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%