Having Problems With Duffs Fondant

Decorating By CakesIMake Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 5:50pm by gbbaker

CakesIMake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesIMake Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 4

I bought a tube of the red & black.. I have used the red one 2 times now put it in the mic for a few sec and for some reason both times it dries very hard, pretty much inedible... Is this normal? I usually use mmf & i didn't expect it to be as soft as mmf, but this stuff ends up being hard.. anyone else have the same problems?

3 replies
tsc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsc Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 4

if anything, i have the opposite problem with it. i've got about 4 tubs of it. white, black, red, and purple. living in podunkville, it's cheaper to get it w/ the 40% off coupon than buy it from the cake store. mine never seems to dry out. i just ate a cupcake left from my sons bday party sat and the fondant is soft and gooey still. are you kneading it before using it? i usually just knead it and then it's good to go. i don't even microwave it. maybe the microwaving is causing the problem. sorry i couldn't help more.

SweetDreamsBoutique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsBoutique Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 4

I only have the black, just because mine seems to dry out from so much color when I make it myself if I want a true black. I don't microwave it either and have found that it stays soft for a lot longer than any other fondant I've used. Try just kneading it with a little powdered sugar instead of putting it in the microwave and see if that helps!

gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 4

I bought the black and it got very hard. I tried kneading in a bit of corn syrup, it still was awful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%