Purple Icing Question

Decorating By shannycakers Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 11:58am by shannycakers

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 9

Hello, I have a wedding cake the request is lavendar or light purple, i have read some bad stories on purple cakes turning blue with light or overnight..?? Anyone have any tips or re assurance on this? this is my first wedding cake and i cant mess it up??

Thanks!

8 replies
Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 9

I have always used the Wilton color gels and they have worked fine for me. I have used them on buttercreme and fondant. I have never had a problem with color change. icon_smile.gif You can see my cake pics and you will see that I have used purple many times. icon_wink.gif

shannycakers Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 9

ok great! thanks for your response! I feel better already! I will try it!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 9

Just be sure to keep it out of light. Sunlight will do a real number on the color.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 9

Florescent and sunlight will both affect some of the color gels.

I've had purple fondant fade, but the purple royal on the same cake did fine.

Have you looked into Crystal Colors Powders? They can be used to color many different types of icing (buttercream, royal, fondant, gumpaste...) and the purples do not fade. I did a test a little over a month ago, where I left some purple fondant colored with them under the florescent lights in my kitchen, as well as sitting in the window sill. No change!

Now I've read that with purple color gels it helps if you use milk instead of water, but I'd still be careful with it, especially since I've had it happen before.

shannycakers Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 11:28am
post #6 of 9

o wow, thanks texas sugar, I will def look into the crystal colors, and my kitchen is flourescent lighting!! , hmmm no time to get those now so i will have to keep the lights off i guess for a day..

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 11:06pm
post #7 of 9

I recently experienced purple turning blue (MUCH to my surprise!) and posted on here for advice. It looks like baking soda is the key. Check the thread here:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-689578-.html

shannycakers Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 11:25am
post #8 of 9

O THATS A GREAT TIP FOR FONDANT! but WHAT ABOUT BUTTERCREAM? HELP, MY CAKE IS IN 1 DAY

shannycakers Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 11:58am
post #9 of 9

ok, from the research i have gathered is try cake craft colors, and use milk in your icing to try to prevent fading...in buttercream, im surprised in this industry no one has a tried and true method??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%