Your Thoughts On Air Bubbles/bulges! ??? ...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 9:02pm by khoudek

Mikel79 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 3

Hi Cakers icon_biggrin.gif

Two cakes this weekend. Both WASC. Washington Redskins cake was left to settle for 2 days, covered. BC iced and left settled for 12 hours. No bubbles. Get in AC car, 2" bubble devolpes? I was able to fix. 1 Hour air dry. Moist!

Transformer cake. Same as above. However, delivered in AC car and was displayed OUTSIDE in Georgia Humidty!!! Left to air dry for 2 HOURS. Guess what, NO BUBBLES?!?! WTF??? Figure that out? Moist and wonderful.

#2 did not have a diamond impression on it. Just plain. Do you think that the pressure you use on a impression mat pushed trapped air to the surface?

Why is it that I can go to a SuperMarket and get a cake from the cooler and deliver in a warm car to a outside event an no bubbles form. AND, why is it that bubbles form on the side 99% of the time. Why not the top??

Thoughts, suggestions. I do think that the WASC is a "wet" cake. I might try Sharon Z. Durable recipe next time.

2 replies
khoudek Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 3

On the website they instruct the following:"The cake should be freshly coated with a thick coating of Butter Cream. I like to use at least ¼ inch and I usually use more. The Butter Cream acts as a cushion and will help you in the fondant smoothing process. Smooth the Butter Cream out. If you leave swirls and dips in the icing, you will be asking for placement bubbles."

Could one of the cakes have been iced smoother than the other?

khoudek Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 3

Sorry, that's

Quote by @%username% on %date%