Forget Halloween, Im Stocking Up For Christmas!

Baking By motherofgrace Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 4:57pm by motherofgrace

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 6:40am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone!

I have my biggest show ever coming up in November! 3 days/25.5 hours of selling!

I want to make little gingerbread housed to sell.

Im looking for a recipe that is sturdy, but is not rock hard and still edible.

If anyone has a recipe for that, that would be GREATLY appreciated!

Also, Anyone have any ideas for gift certificates/cards? How to make them look professional and nice?

TIA!!!!

8 replies
motherofgrace Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 9

anyone have ideas????

cadgurl07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cadgurl07 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 9

Could you order business cards that you can design and make them like gift certificates? I know there are some sites that you can deisgn your own. This way you get the design you want with the professional looking quality. Or you can get cardstock/scrapbooking paper and make your own. I have a mini straight edge cutter that I got from Hobby Lobby to help with the straight and even cutting.

I can't help you witht he recipe. Love the smell of gingerbread, but never a fan of the taste.

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:02am
post #4 of 9

I sell a couple hundred houses a yr. I do decorating parties and kits. I like this recipe, It has served me well- it's easy, it's sturdy and my customers and I think it tastes good. Here is the small recipe- if you have a lg mixer you can increase recipe or I can give you the larger version.

2 cup shortening, 2 cup sugar, 2 c molasses. Mix above on med speed til blended. Switch to low speed and add flour mix and water.
10 cup flour, 1.5 tsp bak powder, 1.5 tsp salt, 2 tsp each of ginger and cinnamon, 8 T water
Water varies according to flour and who knows what. Sometimes I need to add more water til dough is not crumbly and I can press into it a little. wrap and fridge for an hour or so. Bake on parchment at 350 for 10 min.

Good thing about gingerbread houses is you can make them so far in advance.

I use "vistaprint" for business cards, they are cheap and once you order they offer more at a low price. You can download your own logo and use thier templates. I don't know if they have gift cert.

Just curious: Are you selling decorated houses? What size are they?

Good Luck to you...

motherofgrace Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:07am
post #5 of 9

yes, I had this thought of mini houses filled with my homemade candy!!! I am not sure of the size yet, i will be making homemade cutters to make it go faster.

Thanks for the recipe, how far ahead can i make them???

gingerbreadtogo Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:19am
post #6 of 9

Cute idea with the candy. Cutters are definitely a must for lots of houses. I'll bake my Christmas houses in October about 3 weeks before they start selling, which is beginning of Nov. (Although this yr I'm starting to do Halloween gingerbread houses)After I bake them I let them sit a couple days to dry out a little then I put them together and package them. They are actually good til Christmas.

motherofgrace Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:29am
post #7 of 9

oh wow thats aweosme!

Im away for most of october, do you think i could bake them now and freeze them??

Also what do you charge for yours?

gingerbreadtogo Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 2:03pm
post #8 of 9

I charge $15 for house, icing and candy (kit). I have only frozen dough not cut outs. People on CC seem to freeze cut out cookies decorated and undecorated regularly. I'm sure it would be fine. as long as it is sealed well.

motherofgrace Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:57pm
post #9 of 9

ok thanks!

cant wait to d oit!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%