Delivering A Cake 2 Days Before It Will Be Eaten. Help!

Decorating By clairific Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 2:03am by tokazodo

clairific Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clairific Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 6:16am
post #1 of 7

I have to deliver a cake two days before their event (they ordered it knowing this), and I need to know the best way to make it so it will still taste good. She wants a strawberry cake. What kind of filling should I use. Should i freeze the cake? Should I have them refrigerate it even if it is covered in fondant? Help!

Thank you,
Claire

6 replies
wendalls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalls Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 9:03am
post #2 of 7

Hi claire - use a shortening based buttercream for filling and for your crumb coat (shortening keeps perfectly fine un refrigerated). I assume the cake is a fondant covered cake.If so it will keep perfect on the bench for 2 days. Just make sure its somewhere safe, out of the sun icon_smile.gif

chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 10:44am
post #3 of 7

You can also brush your cake layers with syrup to make sure they stay nice and moist.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 7

As long as you use shelf stable filling you don't have to worry about it sitting out. A sealed cake, either in BC or Fondant, will stay fresh up to 5 days. I try not to cover it any earlier than 3 days just to guarantee freshness. Do not be tempted to put it into the fridge. That will help to dry it out and it could absorb the smells of the fridge.

Cat

kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 7

one good thing you have going for you is it's not hot enough in Anchorage to worry about it melting! Love it here though, a hoodie is July is ok with me!

clairific Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clairific Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 1:38am
post #6 of 7

Thanks guys! What kind of syrup would I brush it with? Like strawberry syrup that you put in milk? Or a homemade kind? Never done that before but have wanted to try.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 2:03am
post #7 of 7

I'm pretty sure chocolatestone was referring to simple syrup. A mixture of sugar and water, used to keep cakes moist. A light layer can be brushed on with a pastry brush.
I've attached a recipe.

http://www.recipes4cakes.com/syrup/

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%