New To Fondant, Need Advice!

Decorating By Saumara Updated 30 Aug 2010 , 6:12pm by Goldberry

Saumara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saumara Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 4:41am
post #1 of 7

Hello!

I've been decorating cakes for awhile now, but am new to fondant, and am planning 2 cakes for September that will encorporate fondant! YAY! I'm branching out!

However, my question is: How far in advance can you start preping your fondant pieces and where to store them until the day you show your cake?

Also, any advice on modeling chocolate would be great too! I may try to use it as the base of my cake since the people eating it are extremely picky and aren't fans of the way fondant tastes...

Thank you for any and all help! And I promise! I will pay it forward!!!

6 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 7

This is kinda OT.
Why do customers order an expensive cake with fondant covering when they "don't like fondant"?
They do this and then expect you to magically make it taste like SMBC.
Fondant is not the most delish food item in the world!
Get over it!

cardicard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cardicard Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 7

I made the fondant decorations for my daughters wedding cake six weeks before. I needed time as I was also doing the catering. I put them in a cardboard box and stored them in a cupboard where it does not get hot or damp.
The only damage you can get is sunlight and damp.
Sunlight makes colours fade.
I always make my decorations well in advance now and store them this way and have never had any trouble with them. Also it is a good idea to make a few extra in case of breakages.
Hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

Saumara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saumara Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 7

This wasn't actually OT was it? It's still questions about fondant and you didn't give me any advice....

P.S. They don't KNOW that I'm putting fondant on the cake! It's just for my cousin's, uncle's, dad and brother's bday. We're having an extended family party and I offered to make the cakes. I just wanted to surprise the men with unique cakes. They all know I've been making cakes for awhile now.

Cardicard-Thank You for your suggestions! I will start immediately then! I still have 3 weeks, which will be more than enough time, because it is still relatively simple cakes. icon_smile.gif

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 7

I was wondering...... Are you wanting to cover one of the cakes with modeling chocolate or accent pieces? I work with it a good bit but have never covered a cake with it. If I know a little bit more about what you are planning I can help.

If I am making 3D fondant pieces I usually do them a few weeks ahead if I can. Accent pieces I usually do about 5 days before, lay them flat and cover well in plastic wrap. For me this works well because it doesn't dry hard and easier to adhere to the sides of the cake. hth

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 7

I have seen a chocolate cake with ganache filling and CC with chocolate candy clay before and it looked pretty good.
The clay stayed shiny, if you don't mind that sort of look.
Have you ever seen the pastel colored tootsie rolls?
They make pretty flowers and other accents.

Goldberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goldberry Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 7

hi fondant will last a good 6 - 12 months if its stored correctly and is in its use by date. My advice is to prep as and when you can and stored correctly (ie a cardboard box). I made my wedding cake 5 months before I needed it (it was a rich fruit cake) and just stored it in a box. Here it is not unusual to keep the top layer for a year before using it for the christening (well that's the idea)

I must admit that whether people like it or not I prefer fondant, or Royal icing, you get a much better finsh than with buttercream. In the UK we very rarely cover cakes with buttercream, all that fat would really turn me off (although I do love the flavour of a small amount).

And if someone doesn't like ther fondant, you can always take it off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%