I'm A Newbie Looking For Tips Making A Red Velvet Cake

Decorating By Robertv Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 10:31am by cakesrock

Robertv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Robertv Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 3:39am
post #1 of 9

Hello.......
I'm new to the cake making world and I wanted to start off making a red velvet cream cheese filling cake. I had planned to use the recipe I got from cake boss web site unless any can suggest another recipe. Also does the icing go as the filling and top icing? Could it be cream cheese filling with a different frosting outside? And should I use fondant? Thank for your help

8 replies
Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 12:35pm
post #2 of 9

I've used the red velvet recipe on this site at http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15519/1920s-waldorf-astoria-red-velvet-cake
It uses pureed beets to help with the red colour and keeps the cake very moist. It has the added bonus of not needing as much red food colouring as some of the other recipes.
I've only ever made red velvet with cream cheese filling and frosting...haven't covered it with fondant, but I don't see why you couldn't.

Hope this helps!

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 9

I like cakeman raven's red velvet...I will have to look for the link tho. I love the cream cheese frosting with it but I know there is a cooked one that lots of people like too.

My best advice to making it is to make sure you don't over cook it. It turns out way too dry even if slightly over cooked. Also, I prefer eating it the next day after it has been chilled. For me, that seems to bring out the best flavor and enhance the moistness of the cake.

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 9

Sarah's re velvet tweeked, on this site is excelent. Very easy to make and moist. I get rave reviews every time I make it.

mimido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimido Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 9

I use Cakeman Ravens recipe too( have one in the oven as I type ) I use his cream cheese recipe that is with it . I use it as the filling and the frosting.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 2:48am
post #7 of 9

I like Chef Steph's the best (in recipes) with dreamy creamy white chocolate cream cheese frosting (I posted it in recipes too)...

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:24am
post #8 of 9

I also use Cakeman Raven's recipe. It's by far the best I've tried.
The best advice I can give is to follow the recipe exactly! One time I just added all the dry ingredients and then just threw all the wet ingredients in and mixed and my cake missed an important chemical reaction it needed and it didn't rise at all. It was like a thin pancake, and very dense. It tasted good, but it was still a disaster.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sara-moulton/southern-red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html[url]

I do also use cream cheese frosting and just because we love it so much, I always use it as the filling too. It's definitely a preference thing though, so ultimately that's your decision.

The only thing I have heard is that you cannot use cream cheese frosting under fondant. It doesn't work. I haven't tried it myself, so that's hear-say, but the advice came from here on CC, so I trust that it's true.

HTH!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 10:31am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie_fun

The only thing I have heard is that you cannot use cream cheese frosting under fondant. It doesn't work. I haven't tried it myself, so that's hear-say, but the advice came from here on CC, so I trust that it's true. HTH!

Not sure about other cr cheese recipes, but I have used that white choc cream cheese recipe under fondant a couple of times and it was fine. You just have to keep it in the fridge. But I refrigerate fondant and have never had big problems with my fondant sweating in the fridge. However, I don't paint or add other decorations (RI or edible images) until just before I need it, give it time to make sure it is dry (if it's a bit tacky to the touch), then don't refrigerate again..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%