How To Get Great Photos?

Decorating By snazzygem Updated 30 Aug 2010 , 4:25pm by Rylan

snazzygem Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 3:21am
post #1 of 7

I have a basic digital camera and I am wondering how everyone captures their cake in photos so well? Do you set up a backdrop at home? What lighting do you use?

I want to get high quality pictures to build my gallery without paying someone to photograph.

Kate icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Crustymuffin Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 7

1st Goggle "photo lighting setup". Read up on that and see what best works in your room. Lighting is the most important thing in shooting your work.

There are some cool cheap waus to light . Get 3 of those clip-on lights from the hardware store. Take 3 Milk jugs and cut the top 1/4 off and put those over the lights to make difussers. You do not want hot spots in your shots.

But in general:
Use a back drop (Cloth is bes,t non shiny)
Light it well
do NOT use a flash
Take many shots at differnt exposures ranging from slightly under to slightly over (this is called "Bracketing")

You can really tell a progression in photo quality of my gallery.
Good luck to you

Ivy383 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the info Crustymuffin. I need to take better pictures of my cakes. I took a picture of my last cake this weekend with my iphone and I think it is the best picture I have on profile so far. But I know that I really need to work on it. icon_wink.gif

mbark Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 7

I don't have a great camera so always take my photos outside (during the day) under our covered patio- shady but with lots of natural light. Then I edit the photo on the computer to make it brighter & the colors pop. I use a white sheet as the backdrop.

Dolledupcakes Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 7

I use natural light.
I open my door and let the sun come through. I think it works.

SweetCelebrationsCakes Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 7

I put my cakes next to a window with great light and then have someone hold a backdrop, my favorite right now is a tri fold science backdrop from Hobby Lobby for like $3.50! you know the ones the kids use for their science fair projects. They come in all kinds of colors, white, black, blue, & red. For the camera don't use a flash and slow down your shutter to absorb all the light, 1/60 is a good number for inside shots.
Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 7

I prefer to take pictures outside using painted panel boards as my background. I find that natural lighting is the best--although when there is none, I would have to rely on clamp lamps and daylight bulbs. A photographer friend of mines told me that positioning of the lights is important.

Quote by @%username% on %date%