***non-Dairy Cake And Icing***

Baking By Carla9900 Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 3:45pm by Carla9900

Carla9900 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:54am
post #1 of 4

I need to find a recipe for a YUMMY non-dairy cake and icing for a child's 1 year birthday. He can not have any form of milk. Can you give me any help and/or recipes ideas??

Every help is much appreciated!!
Happy Decorating!

3 replies
leily Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:08am
post #2 of 4

what falls into the category of milk?

I use the wilton recipe with either all butter or 1/2 butter and 1/2 crisco. It also calls for milk, but you can substitue water no problem.

As for a cake, most of my cake recipes are non-dairy since they don't call for milk, cheese, or yogurt. What should the cake not have? (i have a banana cake that i can use sour cream or yogurt in)

MJ2008 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:20am
post #3 of 4

For the frosting, just use shortening and water instead of butter or milk. Soy milk would also work too.

As for the cake, any chance they want chocolate? If so, use the Hershey recipe, but instead of the milk it calls for use soy milk. I'm not sure on substitutions of butter for soy butter, but just about any recipe that calls for milk can be replaced with soy milk. You might be able to use shortening instead. There are also lots of recipes online for a vanilla dairy free cake. I just haven't made one because I make dairy free cakes for MIL and she always wants chocolate.

Yogurt, sour cream, or anything similar can't be used unless you find the soy version. Lactose free doesn't count because there are a lot of products that say lactose free but they still have other dairy proteins that can cause a lot of allergies.

Carla9900 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 4

Great thank you so much both of you for helping me out. I truly appreciate it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%