Cake Price Question

Decorating By adonnica Updated 30 Aug 2010 , 5:30am by cr8zchpr

adonnica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonnica Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 12:52am
post #1 of 6

I only make cakes as a "hobby" and a friend asked me to make her wedding cake. She only paid for the ingredients which was cool by me. But after the wedding I became curious as to how much this would have cost elsewhere. The cake is three tiers; 16", 10" and a 6". Bottom layer is white cake with bavarian cream and real caramel fillings. Middle layer is chocolate with chocolate ganache. Top layer and grooms cake are lemon with raspberry puree filling. The flowers are hand painted and made from gumpaste. I also hand cut all of the leaf patterns on the sides. If you click on the photo link under this post there's a pic. Thanks for your help.

5 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:40am
post #2 of 6

First off beautiful cake, i love the colors together. Location plays a big part in what the price would have been... but i'm in east central iowa and my price would have been $2.75/serving (a little higher than normal because i'm assuming you mean "real" caramel filling by you actually made it from scratch, and the chocolate ganache - i charge a little higher for ganache for the expense of the chocolate).

6" - 18 servings
10" - 50 servings
16" - 128 servings

So total servings w/top tier would be 196 and $539
total serving w/o top tier (if they're freezing it) would be 178 and $489.50.
But like I said location is everything. Someone in CA, NY, or Alaska is going to charge a lot more than me.

The only thing I'm not for sure on is the gumpaste flowers, as i don't do those and if a bride insisted on them then I would 1) buy them and add 20% to the cost and my time OR 2) finally take the plunge and figure out how much time it takes me

Just curious on the leaf patterns... did you cut all the way through the white fondant? If so, is that yellow fondant underneath? or the layer of icing under the fondant?

cr8zchpr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cr8zchpr Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:02am
post #3 of 6

Well you are right about charging more if you live in CA. I do and I would have charged $6 a serving due to the gum paste flowers. I do have a question for you, why when you mentioned if they were freezing the top tier, naturally there will be less servings, did you charge less? You still provided them with the cake. I charge for all servings whether they will eat them now or in a year. Just wondering.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:13am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr8zchpr

Well you are right about charging more if you live in CA. I do and I would have charged $6 a serving due to the gum paste flowers. I do have a question for you, why when you mentioned if they were freezing the top tier, naturally there will be less servings, did you charge less? You still provided them with the cake. I charge for all servings whether they will eat them now or in a year. Just wondering.

I always offer a 6" tier for free. Whether they want it part of the cake and they'll save it, or if they want to come back to me for their year anniversary and i'll bake them a fresh one.

If they're going to serve the 6" tier then i charge for it and make them another one fresh as my "gift" to the bride and groom. If they don't need that many servings but want more tiers for a taller cake then it's included at the time of the wedding and they can freeze it.

So either way they're getting a 6" for free it just depends on how many servings they want at the time, if they want to freeze it for "tradition", or if they want me to make them a fresh one for their anniversary.

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:33am
post #5 of 6

I agree, top tier always free for bride and groom, but only when bought. Don't want to get stuck making a bunch of free cakes next year! I also charge $2.75 per serving (I liv ein RI) and will include a small amount of gumpaste flowers in that price.

cr8zchpr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cr8zchpr Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 5:30am
post #6 of 6

I see, I also include the anniversary cake as part of their order but I do charge for the top tier. It's worked out good for me so far.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%