A Couple Of Questions From A Newb..

Decorating By stacey71 Updated 30 Aug 2010 , 2:22pm by stacey71

stacey71 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 4

Another poster was kind enough to post a link to Lorraine McCay's website. OMG I love her! She is sooo talented and charming and delightful. I was watching one of her many youtube videos ( I feel like I could watch them all day hehe) and she kept referring to "modeling paste" What is that? I was thinking its maybe modeling chocolate, or fondant or gumpaste? And then she referred to sugar glue. What is that? Do they sell it at Wilton?

Sorry for my noobie questions. Thanks all and if you havent seen her videos yet, check out her stuff, its extraicing . co. uk

Happy caking icon_smile.gif

3 replies
LisaPeps Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 4

It's because she is from the UK that the terminology is different. The are two types of modelling paste.... Mexican modelling paste which is ideal for modelling figures and flower/florist paste which is ideal for flowers. Mexican modelling paste is less stretchy that florist paste. I think these are the equivalent to gumpaste in the US. Sugar glue is just to stick the paste to one another. You could use water, egg white, tylo glue (tylose mixed with water), sugar glue which is store bought, or even a tiny bit of gumpaste dissolved in a bit of water.

srkmilklady Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 4

I actually just took a class with Lorraine McKay and she is lovely and oh so talented!! We made a girl figure and two "wee" dogs on each side of her. The modeling paste we used was actually fondant with tylose powder mixed into it. It is like gumpaste, but I found I could work with it a little longer before it dried out.

The sugar glue she makes is again, tylose powder mixed into water. There is a video tutorial for this done by Lorraine at http://www.howcast.com/videos/194903-How-To-Make-Edible-Sugar-Glue.

If you ever have the opportunity to take one of her classes, it is well worth the money...and yes, I could watch her videos all day too! thumbs_up.gif

stacey71 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your answers. icon_smile.gif I bet her seminar was great! I really like her work and hope she will come to the chicago area sometime.

Quote by @%username% on %date%