I Will Never Do This Again!

Decorating By Molly2 Updated 4 Sep 2010 , 4:26am by Molly2

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 6

I bake cakes as a hobby I make no money off if this I make cakes for family and friends I started when my son was about 8 yrs old he is now 22, when I make cakes I always make them the day before I decorate them (I like them fresh) will I decided I wanted to try to make the sugar beer bottles, I did they came out great all editable labels and all. At least I think their great so I thought I would make a beer bucket cakes I knew I would need to decorate this cake today because hubby was going to take it to work tomorrow this was just going to be a cake for fun (two 9inch and one 10 inch) I made my bottle last weekend so I thought will Ill go ahead and make the cakes for the bucket and freeze them (I have never froze a cake) then today I will just decorate and be done with it. and send it with hubby tomorrow. Will I pulled my cakes out of my freeze and got all my tools out and fixed my frosting (it was already made I just put it into a smaller bowl ) I filled and frosted the two 9 inch layers looked great then I placed a cake board on top then placed my 10 inch layer on top of my two 9 inch (that had bubble strews to make sure it wouldnt collapse as I started to frost the 10 inch layer it just started to crumble then it split down the middle I tried to fix it but the frosting wouldnt even stick to the cake. It seems as the cake came to room temperature it just crumbled will I still have my beer bottles but no cake. I want be freezing cakes anymore!
Molly icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

5 replies
JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 6

Cakes don't usually crumble just sitting there flat- it could have been at some sort of angle or something that made the weight on the edges pull away and crack down the middle. (sometimes it does this if it has a hump in the middle and you put the hump side down). Was it still frozen when you started to frost it? I know if I let a cake thaw out, then try to frost it, my icing will pull it away in chunks. If my cake does thaw, I will crumb coat it with a thinned down icing. Then either let it crust or put it in the fridge/freezer to set. Then ice it. I like to let it crust- sometimes I think chilled icing is too wet to ice over.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 6

I freeze every cake I make and I've never had this happen. There has to be something else causing this. Was there a board between the 10" and the 9" layers? Were the layers completely level (no hump at all)?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2

I filled and frosted the two 9 inch layers looked great then I placed a cake board on top then placed my 10 inch layer on top of my two 9 inch (that had bubble strews to make sure it wouldnt collapse as I started to frost the 10 inch layer Molly icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I would say that that caused the problem...icing the ten inch while it rested on the 9 inch layers may have caused movement with your dowels which then caused it to split/crumble and fall. icon_sad.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 6

You have to sculpt and ice with it semi frozen you can't let it fully defrost or you will have a mess. If you do it correctly it will taste amazing and be super moist. Dry cake is a drag and is usually less flavorful than a moist cake. You just have to know how to handle cakes that have been frozen. I freeze every cake I do straight from the oven. You have to prep it properly and wrap it properly and have a dedicated cake freezer (no other foods) but the results can be amazing, not to mention you can keep cakes on hand for those last minute events or ideas that crop up. icon_smile.gif Don't give up on freezing your cakes, it can be your best friend!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 4:26am
post #6 of 6

I'm going to try again hopefully I'll do it right this time Thank You all!

Molly
icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%