3D Cake Issues

Decorating By eve81 Updated 1 Sep 2010 , 2:42pm by eve81

eve81 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 4

Happy weekend everyone

I did my first bottle cake this weekend for my mums 50th Birthday party. It was a Hennessy bottle and I'm pretty pleased with how the cake turned out visually. My issue is with the cake itself.
It was a vanilla butter cake which i've made many times now and the cut offs were moist and crumbly. Yummy! I had to chill it to harden it a little so it would be easier to carve, which it was, but even when we cut the cake the next day it was still a hardish texture. Still tasted the same, very buttery and delicious but so unappealing to look at when you looked at it up close. I was so disappointed. I want my cakes to be good from the outside in. Should I not have chilled it? Or is a moist butter cake the wrong type to do this on, or what did I do wrong?

3 replies
eve81 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 4

I'm still worried about this so going to bump in hope that someone out there can advise me. Pretty please.

hilly Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 4

I don't really understand the texture that you're talking about. Most of my cakes get more moist the longer they sit. Were you eating it at a cold temp or at room temp?

If it dried out during cutting, maybe simple syrup would help.

eve81 Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 4

Hi, thanks. It was a moist cake that I've made before and stays moist (even the cutoffs which I keep in a tub for my kids and hubbie) but this is the first time I've put it in the fridge overnight for carving purposes. The texture was a little jelly like in places if that makes sense. It definitely didnt taste dry. Just looked patchy in places.
I feel like just giving up on the cake I was making and picking a new recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%