How Long Can I Store Chocolate And In What Temp?

Baking By StrawberryPiercedCake Updated 30 Aug 2010 , 10:27pm by LindaF144a

StrawberryPiercedCake Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 8

I'm planing on making chocolate medallions as cupcake toppers for a fundraiser coming up on September 17th. I'm sure if it will work but I plan on melting some white chocolate and spreading it on a piece of parchement paper letting it set then cutting it with a cookie cutter. And then writing on the little white chocolate medallions with melted dark chocolate. Im also going to make dark chocolate ones with white chocolate writing.
So I'm wondering:
1. How early can I do them? (the last time I did chocolate cut outs was the day of and this time I really have too many to do.. over 100)
2. How would I store them until I'm ready to put them on the cupcakes?
3. Is it possible to make them sturdier so they dont melt as quickly?

Thanks so much, all the wonderful advice and tips have really helped.

7 replies
DianeLM Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 8

1. You can make them today. Chocolate has a very long shelf life.

2. Store them away from heat and light in a box or other container.

3. Re melting: If you're using real chocolate, it needs to be tempered to make it sturdier. If you're using confectioners coating (candy melts), you don't have to temper. There's really nothing you can do about chocolate melting. It starts to melt at a relatively low temp. Just the nature of the beast.

Have you tried your technique yet? If you try to cut solid chocolate, it may shatter. I'd let it set up just until the shine is gone - about 2 minutes - cut out the circles, then let the whole thing set up in the frig. That will make the discs easier to handle.

StrawberryPiercedCake Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks DianeLM, I've only attempted something like this once, and I was using the coloured candy melts and there was no cutting involved just making hearts with the back of a spoon. So i think I will stay away from realy chocolate this time and use the candy melts again that way I don't have to worry. Would melted chocolate chips work or would they have to be tempered too?

rainyone Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 8

Not sure of the size you need.....

What about using a mold? I made these toppers using a mold

It was a lollypop like mold ( type for a stick with 2 circles and then a star one) I just filled them without the stick, tossed them in the freezer , then popped them out. super easy. went fast.

anyway - I'd be interested in knowing how they came out

DianeLM Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 8

Chocolate chips would not work as well as the candy melts. Definitely use the candy melts. icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 8

Diane - To add to this discussion. Retempering chocolate - I believe I read it is something like getting it back to a certain temperature for a certain length of time. I need to read about it again.

But I thought I also read that if you keep it below a certain temp (can't remember what this is right now), then you don't have to retemper. Does this sound right to you?

I need to redo my research on this topic. I too am getting into this and I am not a fan of the candy melts its lack of cocoa butter and use of hydrogenated oils instead.

DianeLM Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 8

Linda, when real chocolate sets up, then is remelted, the cocoa butter does not distribute evenly throughout, so tempering is necessary. If the chocolate isn't tempered, any or all of the following will happen - streaks, dullness, graininess, weak structure, tendency to melt more easily.

Cocoa butter is unstable, but hydrogenated oils aren't. That's why candy melts don't need to be tempered. IMO, Wilton brand taste like crap. Melt N Mold by Guittard is pretty tasty, as is Merckens.

LindaF144a Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you. I have a source for Merckens, but not Melt N Mold. I'll research that brand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%