Do You Wear Nail Polish?

Decorating By Motta Updated 30 Aug 2010 , 3:13am by Jeep_girl816

Motta Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 20

I haven't been wearing it for a couple of years and I MISS it! Is there anyone out there who wears it?

Also, does anyone have long nails and still is able to cover a cake with fondant without little dent marks in it? What's your secret?

19 replies
Marianna46 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 20

I keep my nails really short and still manage to nick my fondant all the time. I think I have a built-in klutz factor!

VentureSister Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 20

I put it on my toes in funky colors to make up for what I don't wear on my fingers.

MadMillie Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 20

When takin home ec in high school nail polish was a no no. If we had it on we were not allowed to participate. It can chip off into the food you are preparing.

Julie53 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 20

I agree- most health departments don't like to see it... so like Venture sister- I do my toes! icon_wink.gif

Bfisher2 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 20

Motta.... nope.... cut short.... maybe we could arrange a pedicure and funky toes for the DOS in september....*LOL*

Bluehue Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 20

LOL - yes, i have longish nails and i found the food safe gloves annoyed me even more because of my nails - so instead of cutting them, i bought the little cotton gloves from my chemist - pop them on - then the food safe gloves over the top................ works a treat.

I wear clear nail vanish always - protects my nails.
With cotton gloves - then the purple food safe ones - my hands are well covered from touching *food stuffs*

The frightening thing is - whats under peoples nails - nots whats on top - but i know the food and safety rules and regulations - and abide by them by wearing my gloves.

Rolling out and mixing Fondants/mediums all the time is way drying on peoples hands - so wearing gloves serves 2 purposes for me .....
cleaniness and protection....for all concerned.

Also i have a piece of acetate at the ready, as that is brillante for smoothing over any little dents - caused by whatever reason.

Bluehue

LisaMarie86 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 4:20pm
post #8 of 20

No nail polish and extremely short nails. My toes are always painted though. I think my next color for my toes will be neon pink, or neon green.

elliespartycake Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 4:29pm
post #9 of 20

I love nail polish...used to wear it all the time, but now that I'm doing the cake business, I only apply it for special occasions. I keep my nails shorter than before and very neat. Before a tasting I usually apply a clear coat because I think it looks nicer.

Joyfull4444 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 5:17pm
post #10 of 20

No to nail polish here. If you follow food safe rules nail polish a no-no. I worked in the food industry for almost 30 years. If I or any of my workmates showed up wearing nail polish, we were not allowed to work. If we didn't have a way of removing it at the workplace, we would be sent home to remove it.

As for nail length, I keep my short as I'm a total fondant klutz! icon_razz.gif

Unlimited Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 8:47pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by motta

Also, does anyone have long nails and still is able to cover a cake with fondant without little dent marks in it? What's your secret?

Yes, sometimes my nails are way too long, but they didn't get that way overnight (like with sculpted nails), so you gradually learn how to do things differently as they grow. It comes natural after a while to use the sides of your fingers, knuckles, and fingerpads (for lack of another word), rather than your fingertips especially when removing contact lenses. (unfortunately, I can't wear contacts anymore because they were preventing me from being able to read close up, and nothing new works for me, but I never scratched my eyes with my claws!) You remember to stop using your fingernails as tools, and grab a real tool that helps with the job. The secret: besides using a fondant smoother or two, there isn't another secret that I'm aware of... sometimes dent marks are just going to happen! I think it's harder to apply fondant decorations with long nails than it is to cover a cake with fondant. That's when I use a small spatula to get them from my hand to the cake without those half moon dent marks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyfull4444

If I or any of my workmates showed up wearing nail polish, we were not allowed to work. If we didn't have a way of removing it at the workplace, we would be sent home to remove it.

Me too... most of the time someone had remover. Once I forgot to remove polish after being in a wedding over the weekend, and I was sent home. Luckily, I got the day off with pay because the union hall found out and the company was told that they should have just let me wear gloves that day!

cutthecake Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 9:07pm
post #12 of 20

I stopped wearing nail polish when our oldest child was a baby. She was a gagger, and I was always sticking my fingers in her mouth. I stopped wearing perfume then, too, because the baby's face was always nuzzled into my neck where the perfume was. (And I hated when people would hold my babies, then return them to me smelling of the person's perfume. Yick.)
The kicker was when my husband was eating a meatball and asked what the chemically taste was. Then he pulled a broken POLISHED fingernail out of his mouth. I was mortified. I didn't even know I had broken the nail. My nails have been cut short, and unpolished ever since then. How gross. I'm thankful it was him and not a guest who got the surprise.

Unlimited Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 9:32pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

(And I hated when people would hold my babies, then return them to me smelling of the person's perfume. Yick.)

Or worse... M-I-L sweat!

lapazlady Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 9:33pm
post #14 of 20

No nail polish and very short nails, and I still nick the fondant. Grrrr.

MessMaker Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 9:38pm
post #15 of 20

I was never into wear nail polish on my fingers, but my nails were always long.. "I MISS MY NAILS" icon_sad.gif
They are very short now, but if I had to choose between my nails and my cake, the cakes would always win. And like everyone else here, I just keep my toes done (actually my hubby does them for me) icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 9:39pm
post #16 of 20

Nope I'm a klutz, I have to keep them cut all the way down or I nick my fondant....

I paint my toenails, that's about it!

Motta Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:28am
post #17 of 20

I'm so glad to know that I'm not alone in this girly-girl situation. I LOVE the look of pale pink shimmery nail polish when I wear my good clothes and special rings. BOO HOOO. icon_cry.gif But I don't want that broken finger nail scenario - that would really make me cry.

I guess I'll be pimping my toes! icon_cool.gif

p.s. Yes, I hate when my babies smell like someone else's cologne especially my FIL who still wears the stuff that comes in a jug size!! icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:58am
post #18 of 20

No nail polish for years because of HD rules about working in the kitchen. I used to get my nails done and I really missed that pretty look.

Girls would come in the shop and want to place an application. I'd point to thier really long nails and ask, "Are you willing to cut those off?" If yes, then I'd give them an app.

newmansmom2004 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 3:02am
post #19 of 20

I was at an eating establishment recently and the woman behind the counter was making fresh food items for the case: 1. not wearing any gloves and 2. she had long fake acrylic nails that were stained a gross yellow/orange color and looked like she hadn't cleaned underneath them in decades. 3. I turned around and walked out.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 3:13am
post #20 of 20

I've never been able to keep polish on for very long, so I usually go with out but I always go "naked" when I have a cake to do icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%