Need Help Fast Deliver Soon,fondant Topper On Icecream Cake

Decorating By Brendabeeper Updated 29 Aug 2010 , 2:48pm by Brendabeeper

Brendabeeper Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 5

ladies and gents of cc, I really need a answer on this one, I searched thru all types of forums last night. Ok I know we shouldnt freeze fonant cakes but if I have a icecream cake frozen and frosted, and just before delivery add a flat fondant decoration to the top, If the customer put in freezer just to firm back up aprox one hour, will this cause damage to the cake?
This is for a 5 yr old who wanted icecream cake. The main cake isn't but I made a mini 4 in cake with icecream and I wanted to put a fondant spiderman on top to match the main cake, The frosting is yellow and the fondant topper is red, I would hate it if it ran or ruined the cake, but was hoping someone could tell me that for a short time frame I'd be ok? IS THIS JUST WISHFULL THINKING? THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR READING, IS IS ONLY THRU THESE SITUATIONS THAT WE ALL LEARN ...LOVE CC

4 replies
DianeLM Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 5

Well, since it's an ice cream cake, it won't be out of the freezer long enough to form enough condensation to make the colors run. Freezing isn't the enemy. Condensation during thawing is.

ETA: I hope you have a good sharp knife that you can heat over a gas stove, or with a mini torch, to cut through that frozen fondant!

Brendabeeper Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 5

for now only the butter cream frosting and the cake is in the freezer. I haven't added the topper yet but after removing from my freezer and putting in a cooler to take to her I was going to add the topper out of fondant. The customer will then thaw on her side but depending if it melts a bit on the way to her place she may need to place it back in the freezer. **would it help if I placed wax paper under the fondant design?

Babs1964 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 5

If its not a complicated topper let customer put it on cake when they take it out of freezer just before serving!

Brendabeeper Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 5

thank you everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%