I'm Really Proud Of This Cake( First Original Design):)

Decorating By multilayered Updated 31 Aug 2010 , 12:05pm by multilayered

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 23

I'm sorry but I'm just really excited about this cake and I had to share. This was the first cake I had complete free reign on. The couple let me pick everything for it! About a year ago I had the same opportunity, but it didn't come together I had too many ideas in my head! This time I had a clear picture of what I wanted to do. I love Black & White and I was so excited when they were all for it. Also for the topper I had made a very nice Anemone but when I went to attach it..it broke icon_surprised.gif And I was trying to figure out something to put on top I tried some cherry blossoms but I didn't like them..then I thought of a dress form...I ending up liking it even more than the Anemone so it was a happy accidenticon_smile.gif Most of my cakes are "original" but they are based on something Like Spongebob or of course the client picka a theme or color scheme. This was the first cake that was all my decision and I'm just so happy that I didn't fail and I produced what I think is a very pretty cakeicon_biggrin.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1788045

22 replies
vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 23

You have every right to be proud of this one! I love black and white together too. I love the scrolls too. My suggestion? Give yourself a solid background when taking the pic. It distracts from your beautiful cake! Hope you don't mind me saying that. Beautiful cake!!

multilayered Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 23

LOl Tell me about it...I cannot ever get a good picture!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 23

Very pretty!!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 23

The angle you took the cake picture is perfect! Get from either the fabric store (my choice) or art supply, a couple yards of fabric or roll of paper. I personally love the fabric as there are so many choices to either use for every cake or to really make your cake pop out! Lay the fabric over the bottom of the counter (or table) then up flat on the counter(where you have the cake) and then either attached to a cabinet going UP behind the cake (or over something built up high as your background). What you want to have is a background; a flat surface that the cake sits on, and then nothing in front of the cake (that's where the draping down the counter part is). So all that stands out is your cake. No pots, pans, do dads in the back ground. Also make sure the fabric is wide enough so you don't have edges within the picture. The background stuff detracks from your cake and unfortunately, this is what the eye sees first. Not to say you have to do this for every cake, and there are programs on the computer for really doing fancy stuff. But this is the easiest method. If you are building an album for your cakes, and going through all the work of decorating, don't have a background with stuff in it. Hope I've helped as you do beautiful work.

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 23

I've also seen suggestions of the trifold display boards kids use for science projects and so forth. I always remember this AFTER I take my pictures, te he. icon_smile.gif

multilayered Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 12:46am
post #7 of 23

I have a bi-fold I use when I air brush but it's blue maybe I should invest in some fabric I can toss over it to take pic's

Babypickles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babypickles Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:15am
post #8 of 23

Your cake is beautiful, Great job!!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:29am
post #9 of 23

Sometimes fabric can get expensive though. I found king size sheets on sale for $4, yeah they're only 180 count, but you can't tell in a photo icon_smile.gif The cakes aren't sleeping on them hehe.

I take my kids pictures using them also. I have a black, white, two shades of blue and i've been keeping my eye out for a pink and tan one.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:41am
post #10 of 23

Leily,

I like your idea with the kind sized sheets - my question is this.....do you have to iron them every time you use them? I have a tablecloth that I use and it is not 100% cotton and I always have to iron it before I use it because I don't like the fold lines to show.

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:51am
post #11 of 23

Beautiful job...I love the flowers...well, love the whole thing! icon_smile.gif

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:03am
post #12 of 23

Awesome job!! The dress form came out GREAT!

leily Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:10am
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

Leily,

I like your idea with the kind sized sheets - my question is this.....do you have to iron them every time you use them? I have a tablecloth that I use and it is not 100% cotton and I always have to iron it before I use it because I don't like the fold lines to show.

I have some fold lines in it, but they never show up in the photos because i use a more natural light and it kind of evens it out. The only time i iron them is is when doing the kids pictures and I will have most of the sheet in the photo as it doesn't hang just right with all of the folds. But typically i just hang it up right out of the dryer and i dont' have to worry about ironing it then icon_smile.gif

srcohoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srcohoon Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:27am
post #14 of 23

Your cake is beautiful!!! You did a beautiful job on this cake!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Hugz, Sherry

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:48am
post #15 of 23

I've been using a heavy white tablecloth for my photos...I stink at taking nice pictures of my cakes but I'm improving I think. I found a place in my house that has nice bright sunlight in the morning when I'm ready to photo and box up my cakes for the weekend.

Great cake!

asaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asaye Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:51am
post #16 of 23

Beautiful job on your cake! I really love the dress form as a topper!

multilayered Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 3:16am
post #17 of 23

Thank you for the kind words and the wonderful photography advice. I really appreciate iticon_smile.gif

leily Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 7:48pm
post #18 of 23

Another option i found today!! I was going through the clearence isle at wal-mart and they had window panels on clearence for a couple of bucks. You could thread them onto a tension shower rod and put it between a couple of cabinets or in a doorway with the fabric draped over something that your cake sits on.

jsut another idea

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 8:07pm
post #19 of 23

Did you post this pic on facebook? I think that's were I saw it and posted. I loved it! Great job! icon_biggrin.gif

holliellen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliellen Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 8:14pm
post #20 of 23

Great job on the cake! I bought black fabric from the fabric store and just drape it over a chair from my dining room and the cake just sits on the seat and the background is all black. it works perfectly and you dont have to tack anything up!

multilayered Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 8:16pm
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy383

Did you post this pic on facebook? I think that's were I saw it and posted. I loved it! Great job! icon_biggrin.gif

Yes it isicon_smile.gif And thank you

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 3:00am
post #22 of 23

wow really beautiful, you should be proud of all your cakes

multilayered Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 12:05pm
post #23 of 23

Thank you very muchicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%