Please Tell Me If This Is The Best Way To Get This Look.

Decorating By sjc0858 Updated 18 Sep 2010 , 7:05am by sjc0858

sjc0858 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjc0858 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 15

SO I have an AIW themed cake coming up and I want to create the middle tier of the cake black with only the eyes and mouth of the chesire cat showig. Please click on the link below to see.

This is what I want to achieve(minus the wording). I was thinking of printing this page out and tracing out the eyes and the mouth then tracing it onto the cake. To get the bright eyes, I think I will need to cut out white fondant the shape of the eyes and paint them. Also cut out the teeth with gumpaste. Does this sound the best way to you? For the teeth: Would you cut those out and allow them to dry first before attaching them?

http://www.wallpapercasa.com/uploads/wallpapers/2010/03/05/7626/thumb_big_normal_5db4030356a133f64cdf10dfc4c0d9bc.jpg

14 replies
Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 15

Sounds like a good way to me, I'd love to see the finished product.

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 15

I'd say you're idea would work just fine. Are you going to cover your cake in black fondant too? That is a cool photo. And yes, I would make your teeth and let them dry before inserting. It'll just make them easier to work with.

Hope to see pics of your cake!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 15

I agree with everything you have planned except for the one unnecessary step - you don't have to trace the pattern onto the cake if you're going to be making the eyes and teeth separately. Just place them where you want them and glue down with a dot of water.

sjc0858 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I agree with everything you have planned except for the one unnecessary step - you don't have to trace the pattern onto the cake if you're going to be making the eyes and teeth separately. Just place them where you want them and glue down with a dot of water.

WEll, I want to get that big curly smile he has and want sort of an indentation for the mouth to fit the teeth into but I do see your point with the eyes.

Thank you ladies! I am super duper nervous about this cake. If it comes out to my liking, I will post hereicon_smile.gif

DianeLM Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 15

Gotcha. icon_smile.gif I can't wait to see it.

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 7:06pm
post #7 of 15

Oooh - I can't wait to see the finished cake!

Depending on how large your teeth are going to end up, you might want to consider building each tooth on a toothpick. Then you can just insert them into the mouth and not have to worry about the weight of them tipping over, etc. Then again, that sure is a lot of teeth which would mean a whole lot of toothpicks...

Of course, if the teeth end up on the smaller side, then you won't have to worry about it!

sjc0858 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 12:37am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy619

Oooh - I can't wait to see the finished cake!

Depending on how large your teeth are going to end up, you might want to consider building each tooth on a toothpick. Then you can just insert them into the mouth and not have to worry about the weight of them tipping over, etc. Then again, that sure is a lot of teeth which would mean a whole lot of toothpicks...

Of course, if the teeth end up on the smaller side, then you won't have to worry about it!

I am thinking they will be on the smaller side..but now you have me wondering if i may need to use chocolate to attach them rather than relying on water...hmmm...

DianeLM Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:25am
post #9 of 15

Okay, I didn't catch the fact that this will be on the side of the cake. I was working under the assumption it was going on top. Yikes!

I think chocolate or will be sufficient to hold the teeth on.

sjc0858 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 3:08am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Okay, I didn't catch the fact that this will be on the side of the cake. I was working under the assumption it was going on top. Yikes!

I think chocolate or will be sufficient to hold the teeth on.

Yes, it will be on the side. Sorry I didn't make that clearer. I know! We will see how it turns out. I might do a lil' practice one before the main one to get a better idea.
Thank you all for taking the time to give me advice!

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:08pm
post #11 of 15

I would think that chocolate would work perfectly. Be sure to post a pic when you're done!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:16pm
post #12 of 15

Can't wait to see the picture. It'll be a "WOW" cake, for sure.

sjc0858 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:46pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapazlady

Can't wait to see the picture. It'll be a "WOW" cake, for sure.

Ya'll are making me even feel MORE pressure! lol
I seriously hope the "WOW" factor is a GOOD one and not a "WOW, that is horrible" LOL!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 2:06pm
post #14 of 15

For sure, the "WOW" is a good one! No pressure is intended.

sjc0858 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 7:05am
post #15 of 15

Finished my cake! LOVE how Cheshire's face came out. Take a look in my pics!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%