Help With Cow/horse Figurines Please

Decorating By tsal Updated 29 Aug 2010 , 2:34pm by tsal

tsal Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 10:51am
post #1 of 7

I'm making my 4 yr old a farm cake and the figurines are going well except for the horse and cow.

When I make the legs and then put the body on, the legs sort of squish down a little and get elephant skin.

Should I be letting them dry completely before putting the body on? Should there be toothpicks or something inside the legs for support?

6 replies
Karen421 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 12:15pm
post #2 of 7

I had that problem, so I did put toothpicks or spaghetti in. After they were dry I cut the toothpicks except for one. HTH

kello Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 12:16pm
post #3 of 7

Are you making these animals realistic or cartoonish? I made realistic horses out of modeling choc. I used a wire in the shape of the horse and then added the modeling choc and could smooth it out.
But if you are using fondant, I would try using tooth picks and making the legs separate, let them dry and then add them (so part of the toothpick goes into the body) with a little "glue."

tsal Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 7

Definitely cartoonish! So I should make the legs, stick toothpicks in them with the ends of the toothpicks exposed, and then stick them into the body once the legs have dried, right?

kello Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 12:51pm
post #5 of 7

Right. icon_smile.gif I did that for a cake I did with baby farm animals.

Karen421 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, unless you are afraid kids will get a hold of the animals, then use thick spaghetti.

tsal Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 2:34pm
post #7 of 7

I've already explained to the kids that the horse and cow are not to be eaten. There are so many other animals that I'm sure they won't mind!

Quote by @%username% on %date%