Piping On The Side Of A Cake

Decorating By zespri Updated 30 Aug 2010 , 4:55pm by cakemama2010

zespri Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 8:59am
post #1 of 6

How do I pipe on the side of a cake, without having a tilting turntable? I can't imagine it would be easy to pipe letters at that angle....?

5 replies
CandyCU Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 11:19am
post #2 of 6

I have a basis Wilton turntable and I just roll a tea towel and wedge it under so that it's tilted - works a treat... just make sure you have a not slip mat thingy between your cake and the turntable otherwise it will sliiiiiiide! icon_smile.gif

HTH?!

Cheers!
Cindy

cakeythings1961 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyCU

I have a basis Wilton turntable and I just roll a tea towel and wedge it under so that it's tilted - works a treat... just make sure you have a not slip mat thingy between your cake and the turntable otherwise it will sliiiiiiide! icon_smile.gif

That's a great idea!! I don't do a lot of piping on the sides of cakes because it's just too difficult, but this might help--I'm going to try it!

Loucinda Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 6

I like having the cake up high helps me - I set the cake on the top edge of our snack bar - it is the perfect height.

holliellen Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 6

I just did lattice on the side of a cake this weekend and it would of been nice to have it tilted. It was a little difficult!

cakemama2010 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 6

sometimes I've piped the letters (or other piping) onto wax paper, frozen them and then peeled them off and stuck them on. Or used Royal to pipe on wax paper and let it harden and then stick them on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%