Help With Wasc/buttercream And Covering In Fondant

Decorating By kayeldesign Updated 29 Aug 2010 , 1:54pm by Loucinda

kayeldesign Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 4:21am
post #1 of 3

I have done quite a few cakes, however I am getting frustrated with getting my cakes to look even and "crisp." What I mean is....I have been using WASC for wedding cakes and the buttercream icing recipe I have been using doesn't crust. However, everyone that tastes the frosting loves it and so I don't want to change it. It is a butter, crisco based icing with flavorings, powered sugar and meringue powder. Is there something I can add to the icing to make it crust and would this be the reason that I don't get nice corners on a square cake? Is there a better recipe I could use to crumb coat and still use the same icing recipe I have to fill. I also have an issue of the icing bulging after I cover with mmf. I do pipe a bead of frosting about an 1" in from the edge of the cake before I fill with frosting and it still bulges. I just want my cakes to look even and have crisp corners and I am wondering if there is something I am doing wrong when it comes to covering with fondant as well. I have a wedding cake for Sept 18 and it is to be hexagon, round, hexagon, round and I need this to be as perfect as possible. Any help would be appreciated.

2 replies
MessMaker Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 5:03am
post #2 of 3

The butter is the reason its not crusting. I use Indydebi's frosting its great and crust nicely.

As for the bulging, I havent really had this problem, try filling your cake, wrap it so it dont dry out and place a book on it, it might be bulging because of the weight from the fondant is too much. (if that makes sense)

Also you might wanna try the viva technique on a crusting BC recipe, to sharpen the corners before covering with fondant.

Im just a beginner, but I hope this helps.

Loucinda Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 3

It is the fat to sugar ratio that decides the crusting factor (doesn't matter what fat) If you want sharper edges, about the only way to really get them "sharp" with fondant is to use ganache under it. A soft buttercream won't really let you get a stiff corner.

Quote by @%username% on %date%