Better To Cover A Sculpted Car Cake With Modeling Chocolate?

Decorating By JackieChan Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 11:29am by TJCanadian

JackieChan Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 2:33am
post #1 of 3

Hey, everyone icon_smile.gif I need some advice on a cake. I am getting ready to make a sculpted car cake (The DeLorean Time Machine from "Back To The Future") and I was wondering which would be best to do: Should I cover the cake in fondant; cover the cake in modeling chocolate; or cover the cake with sides and pieces of modeling chocolate? I am trying to get the cake a geometric as possible, so I am leaning more towards the pieces. My only concern would be if the pieces started to slide off the buttercream. I appreciate any advice/tips that you could offer. Thanks icon_smile.gif

2 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 11:10am
post #2 of 3

I think pieces would work, especially since it's a car. I wouldn't worry about the pieces sliding off unless the cake is going to be sitting in hot weather. Just put a good layer of buttercream on there and roll the modeling chocolate on the thinner side.

LOVE all the Back to the Future movies, by the way. What a cool cake-make sure you post pictures!

TJCanadian Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 11:29am
post #3 of 3

One way to achieve the geometric shapes is to cover the cake in modeling chocolate pieces to get the edges you need, then cover it in a thin layer of fondant to make it appear seamless.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%