Gum Paste Droopiness.....

Decorating By jennycakes Updated 7 Sep 2005 , 4:10pm by Cakepro

jennycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennycakes Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 2:44am
post #1 of 4

Ok- if anyone can help me, please do! My gumpaste has appeared to have gotten too pliable...droopy, if you will & making flowers last week for one of my cakes was almost impossible-can I knead in some powdered sugar? or do you just scrap it? Is it possible that I added in too much gel coloring? i haven't had this problem before. Of course, I could just make more, but...
I also just made a sneaker cake that looked more like an orthepedic shoe for Run DMC....everyone LOVED the cake-I was almost mortified. I guess that's another post i'll have to do.....

3 replies
ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 3 Sep 2005 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 4

you have to make sure you use the right product. There is a ready to use gumpaste out there that does NOT hold up in humidity.

When you make your flowers, you must keep them away from any humidty or moisture while they dry.

The sugar content of your gumpaste is a HYDROPHONIC ingredient..in otherwords, it attracts or absorbs moisture.

you're best bet is to go heavier on the gum tex or whatever hardener you use instead of the powedered sugar or use pastilage in your area.

The only thing with pastillage is you must work a little faster.

I hope this helped!

jennycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennycakes Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 4

thanks for the advice! NOw that I think about it- it was very humid while I was completing this cake-no wonder I had issues! Thanks for your response! I used Wilton's gum paste mix-are there other brands that are better?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 4

I love telling my cake students down here in humid Houston that sugar is hygroscopic...it becomes the vocabulary word of the day. LOL icon_biggrin.gif)

This sounds silly, but I can vouch for its effectiveness (again, I live in darn near 100% humidity): light candles in your workspace. The little flames will burn up the humidity in your work area and your gumpaste, royal icing, pastillage, color-flow, etc will not be drawing water from the atmosphere and puddling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%