Ball Cake

Decorating By 5478holly Updated 29 Aug 2010 , 12:33pm by iris711

5478holly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
5478holly Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 4

hi girls i need a little help with the ball cake i just want to know the best way of coveing with fondant?? icon_sad.gif
i have added a pick of my first attempt at using and covering the ball cake

3 replies
jcstefanick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcstefanick Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 4

It's not easy. what I find works best is to make sure the crumb coat is a pretty thin layer, and/or is good and hard (I put mine in the fridge or freezer for a while before covering them). that keeps the frosting from oozing out the bottom.
The other thing I found that works is to put a bowl with a small bottom under the cake when I'm covering it, so the cake is up high enough so I can get my hands in pretty far on the bottom side of the cake.
I find that I have to really work it by pulling the fondant out and working it down a little at a time all the way around, or I get ridges of folded fondant. It takes longer than covering a regular cake, but it can be done.
I hope that helps! Best of luck! the cake will be super cute!

5478holly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
5478holly Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 11:36am
post #3 of 4

thanx thats great i will give it a go x

iris711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris711 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 12:33pm
post #4 of 4

I did a call cake and covered it with bc, I can't imagine using fondant on it, for me it would be so hard, anyway I really hate doing this cake. It was so hard to keep the top part from sinking into the the bottom part. but then I'm a beginner maybe if I had more experience... Good luck with the cake please let me know who it comes out... thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%