Mmf Help

Decorating By nemmie56 Updated 28 Aug 2010 , 8:27pm by DefyGravity

nemmie56 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 12:25pm
post #1 of 6

Why it my MMF not turning out white? It is almost a cream colour.
I must be doing something wrong, I'm sure it used to be white.

5 replies
catlharper Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 6

No, MMF is naturally off white. You have to add white coloring to get it truly white. I have had different shades of it depending on the brand of marshmallows I have bought but it's always off white. Fortunately most people don't even realize it. OH...did you use regular vanilla or clear vanilla? Regular vanilla gives you a perfect cream color while the clear helps keep it as close to white as it gets.

Krysten3 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 6

I made 4 batches of MMF this week. I added 1 tsp of baking soda to each batch because I had read from someone here that doing so will make your purple not fade (I didn't know which batch I would be coloring purple so I just added it to all of them). The next day all the batches were cream colored, almost biege. I just figured it was from the baking soda but maybe not?? Normally it's just slightly off white.

elliespartycake Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 6

My MMF is always off-white to cream colored. Any varation is due to the brand of marshmallow I use. If you are using it with other colored decorations, it's hardly noticable that it's not pure white; but if y were going to use it with say, pure white flowers or a satin ribbon, I'd add white color to insure a bright white.

nemmie56 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you everyone for the replies.
What is white colouring? Didn't know there was white.

DefyGravity Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 6

Wilton has a white-white:

The square wedding cake in my photos was done with plain mmf, and against the bright colors, I think the white looks fine. I agree with Ellie and say it will probably only matter if you have other white accents sitting right against it. Using clear flavorings will distort the color less, and it seems like it's less white when I use the store brand marshmallows, for whatever reason.

Quote by @%username% on %date%