Fondx,fondarific, Or Choco-Pan? And What About Food Color?

Decorating By Foxicakes Updated 28 Aug 2010 , 4:25pm by sillywabbitz

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 6:40am
post #1 of 4

I posted this under the recipe section, but got NO answers, so hopefully someone here will help.

I am purchasing "ready made" fondant for the first time. I have heard wonderful things about Fondarific, but as I was on the webpage to make the purchase, I saw the Fondx and the Choco-Pan.

Apparently the Fondx is pretty good too (okay, I'm the sucker that believes what the website that's trying to SELL it to me says!!) And the Choco-pan is made out of white chocolate or dark chocolate, depending on which one you purchase. Also, the Choco-pan supposedly "covers at a rate nearly double that of traditional fondant".

I'm really only concerned that it tastes AMAZING!! The fondant will be covering a crumb coat of white chocolate/cream cheese buttercream and its all going on a White Velvet cake by CakeMommyTX---which is the MOST AMAZING cake I have ever eaten!! So, needless to say, I don't want to intefere with that flavor in ANY way and I thought that the white chocolate fondant might fit right in with the other flavors. (Of course only if that is what it really tastes like.) So, please help!!! Thanks

Also, I am coloring the cake to make a rainbow cake. I used Wilton paste colors on a test cake and I could definitely tell that there was something "off" with it. Can someone recommend some food colors that are bright, can be used to color cake AND fondant, AND doesn't taste awful?? THANKS AGAIN!!

3 replies
KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 4

I asked about Choco-pan a couple of weeks ago and was told that it is much softer and stickier than Fondarific and they were right. I used it to cover a pregnant belly cake and it stuck all over the place. Plus is picked up fingerprints far easier than anything else I've used.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 4

Taste is totally subjective, but, of the three brands mentioned, FondX is the most neutral in taste. It has just a slightly sweet taste - no distinctive "flavor" to compete. Fondarific and Choco-pan are both very good in taste (IMHO) but have a little more pronounced flavor, but that flavor is complementary to most cakes and/or fillings. All three brands are fairly soft to work with. Can't help with the color aspect - I'm sure someone will know.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 4

Choco pan is harder to work with if you have heat issues because it has such a high chocolate content. I was told to mix it with another fondant you like and that made it a million times easier to work with. The taste of choco pan is great and I think once you get the hang of it you can roll it thinner than traditional fondant but I couldn't really get it to work straight out of the container here in Texas. I mixed 50/50 with wilton because it's what I had on hand and it was a dream to work with. I'll probably do a 60/40 choco to wilton next time to get just a bit more of the chocolate flavor. Now I have to go find the White Velvet cake recipeicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%