Help! With Fondant And Food Color Brands!!

Baking By Foxicakes Updated 28 Aug 2010 , 1:38pm by minicuppie

Foxicakes Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 5:17am
post #1 of 2

I am purchasing "ready made" fondant for the first time. I have heard wonderful things about Fondarific, but as I was on the webpage to make the purchase, I saw the Fondx and the Choco-Pan.

Apparently the Fondx is pretty good too (okay, I'm the sucker that believes what the website that's trying to SELL it to me says!!) And the Choco-pan is made out of white chocolate or dark chocolate, depending on which one you purchase. Also, the Choco-pan supposedly "covers at a rate nearly double that of traditional fondant".

I'm really only concerned that it tastes AMAZING!! The fondant will be covering a crumb coat of white chocolate/cream cheese buttercream and its all going on a White Velvet cake by CakeMommyTX---which is the MOST AMAZING cake I have ever eaten!! So, needless to say, I don't want to intefere with that flavor in ANY way and I thought that the white chocolate fondant might fit right in with the other flavors. (Of course only if that is what it really tastes like.) So, please help!!! Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Also, I am coloring the cake to make a rainbow cake. I used Wilton paste colors on a test cake and I could definitely tell that there was something "off" with it. Can someone recommend some food colors that are bright, can be used to color cake AND fondant, AND doesn't taste awful?? THANKS AGAIN!! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

1 reply
minicuppie Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 2

IMO it is not so much that the dye tastes bad, but the amount you use.
I get that you want a saturated color scheme for your rainbow, but some things are just not meant to be.

Quote by @%username% on %date%