Anyone In South Florida?

Decorating By JoneaG Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 1:09pm by pag41989

JoneaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoneaG Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 5:05am
post #1 of 29

Hey there, I am very new to this and I was wondering if there was anyone on here in the south Florida area. I love to talk to someone close and pick your brain a little. Very interested in how this is all done in my area. Thanks and happy baking! icon_smile.gif

28 replies
tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 5:31am
post #2 of 29

I am in Port St. Lucie. What about you?

JoneaG Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 5:41am
post #3 of 29

I'm in Boca Raton. Do you have your own business? My grandma's name is Tandy, I've never met anyone else with that name.

bakercks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakercks Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 29

I live in Wilton Manors(Ft. Lauderdale area).

Btrfly578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Btrfly578 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 29

I'm in Tampa. I know it's not S. FL, but close enough. It's always a pleasure to find others from FL.

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoneaG

I'm in Boca Raton. Do you have your own business? My grandma's name is Tandy, I've never met anyone else with that name.

Hey, I'm in Boca too. Out West, off Lyons Road.

JoneaG Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 8:21pm
post #7 of 29

Haha i am close to Lyons as well! Do you do cakes as a hobby or a profession?

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoneaG

Haha i am close to Lyons as well! Do you do cakes as a hobby or a profession?

hobby. There's another cc'er that's in coral springs. We're supposed to meet to go to the cake store in Plantation together sometime.

JoneaG Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 29

Tug- awesome, you shoudl have a sfl chapter of CC... would be fun to get together and share ideas and meet.

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 5:40pm
post #10 of 29

I am just a hobby decorator, but I have been a WMI for many years. Tandy is not a common name at all- and I have only met one other person with my name-- she is an animal control officer here in PSL and I met her when I called about a stray dog. We must have talked for 20 minutes about never meeting one of us before!

Do you know how your grandmother got her name? Did she like the name? I was named after Jessica Tandy. My mom and dad's first date was to see The Birds, and when her name came up in the opening, she fell in love with it, and knew right then that if she ever had a daughter, that was her name. I personally love it.

We SFL CCers should definitely go out to play!

andreaj128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreaj128 Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 4:32pm
post #11 of 29

Just joined and I'm in Vero. Slowly trying to learn and make some cakes at the same time. I'm soaking up all info I can! I can't afford to buy everything at once so it's slow going for now!

Nice to meet you all!
Andrea

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 5:01pm
post #12 of 29

I am in Boynton, work in Fort Lauderdale and drive up to PSL at least twice a month.

A sfl CC chapter would be awesome

JoneaG Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 5:04pm
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaj128

Just joined and I'm in Vero. Slowly trying to learn and make some cakes at the same time. I'm soaking up all info I can! I can't afford to buy everything at once so it's slow going for now!

Nice to meet you all!
Andrea

Andrea, I am in the same boat, just buying small things one at a time, this is quite an expensive hobby when you are starting out with nothing. Hope you are having fun!

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 5:12pm
post #14 of 29

Hi, I'm in the St. Petersburg area.... Welcome to all the Newbies. You're going to love it here. Hope you read the warning about the site being "additive" because it is. Can't we start a tag called SFla. Chapter and join it? Is that possible? Anyone know? TIA

JoneaG Posted 31 Aug 2010 , 5:19pm
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantedcreations

Hi, I'm in the St. Petersburg area.... Welcome to all the Newbies. You're going to love it here. Hope you read the warning about the site being "additive" because it is. Can't we start a tag called SFla. Chapter and join it? Is that possible? Anyone know? TIA

You are so right, this is so addictive I can't stop lol I dont know how the chapter thing would work, I am very new and still feeling everything out... But that sounds like a great idea.

mickey35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mickey35 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 5:30pm
post #16 of 29

Hey everyone, I'm in Sunrise, FL. Nice to know about other South Florida CCers.

Erin3085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erin3085 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 5:42pm
post #17 of 29

I'm not exactly considered South Fl but I'm from Lake Wales (near Lakeland). It's always fun to chat with other cakers, esp those who also have to deal with this stinking humidity. icon_razz.gif I'm just a hobby baker and know exactly what you guys mean about how much it costs starting off! My hubby hates it when I say Im going to Michaels! icon_wink.gif

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 5:45pm
post #18 of 29

Hey there! I'm in Miami. You can PM me if you like icon_smile.gif

Naty

mike83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mike83 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 7:22pm
post #19 of 29

sarasota here!

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 7:32pm
post #20 of 29

Hi all! I'm in Deland, near Orlando. It's great to "meet" other Floridians! icon_smile.gif I'm new to the site and I'm addicted! LOL I bake as a hobby, mostly for my kiddos' birthdays and other family functions. I love it so much that I wanted to start selling my cakes/cookies out of my home, but I've learned from being on this site that FL doesn't have a "cottage food law" so...can't do it. icon_sad.gif Has anyone heard about any updates on this? I saw online that there is a meeting going on in Tampa this Saturday (the 11th) to discuss how we can get the law changed. Anyone know about this or if there is a petition we can sign?

dontpanik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dontpanik Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 10:44pm
post #21 of 29

Hello! I'm a hobby baker and decorator on the Spacecoast (Indian Harbour Beach). Nice to see all the other Floridians on here icon_lol.gif

BarbRaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbRaz Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 10:57pm
post #22 of 29

I'm a hobby baker from Sarasota (thank goodness I have a very large family to practice on). Hi Mike, are you a professional or a hobby baker?

marcy11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcy11 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 11:01pm
post #23 of 29

I am in Pembroke Pines...I go to the cake store in Plantation all the time...it is pretty small, but has a TON of stuff!

mike83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mike83 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 12:57am
post #24 of 29

right now I'm a hobby baker but trying to get into the professional field

nidachi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nidachi Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 11:19pm
post #25 of 29

Hi, I just recently moved to Port St Lucie to Orange City, north of Orlando.

punkyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkyf Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 11:39pm
post #26 of 29

Hi, I'm a hobby baker in Cape Coral, FL. Wish I had a cake store close. Ours closed a few months ago. Does the store in Plantation have hi ratio shortening?

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 12:51pm
post #27 of 29

Hi, don't want to hijack this thread, but since we are all from FL, please consider signing this petition supporting the Florida Cottage Food Act. Barbara Schmal is working hard for us to be able to bake out of our kitchens.

Please click on the link below and sign the petition to support the Cottage Food Act. Please forward to everyone you know that lives in the State of Florida, email it to your email buddies.

http://www.petitiononline.com/FLcottag/petition.html

Thanks, I am from Bradenton, btw

tgress13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tgress13 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 1:01pm
post #28 of 29

Hi, I'm a hobby baker in Sunrise. A CC chapter would be great! I spent all of last summer and this year spending my discretionary money at Michaels, the store in Plantation and the one in Miami. So many wonderful tools...so little money! Welcome.

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 1:09pm
post #29 of 29

I am from North Florida (Tallahassee). You think with it being the capitol of Florida we would have a cake store but all we have is a Michael's icon_sad.gif For being the capitol of Florida we have barely anything as far as stores or restaurants go. Anyone here from the Tallahassee area?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%