At What Point Are Dowel Rods Needed??

Decorating By Niffer817 Updated 28 Aug 2010 , 7:24pm by BlakesCakes

Niffer817 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niffer817 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 4:43am
post #1 of 7

I'm making a 3 tier cake. Each is only 1 layer but filled. Do I need dowel rods? I've never stacked a cake before, so this is all new. I'm prepared to do it, but if I don't need to I'd like to wait for another time. lol

6 replies
kater82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kater82 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 4:51am
post #2 of 7

yeah you should stack any tiered cake. If you dont the weight of the top cakes will smoosh the bottom cake. There are tons of tutorials on the web. you can even look on you tube.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 5:53am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kater82

yeah you should stack any tiered cake. If you dont the weight of the top cakes will smoosh the bottom cake. There are tons of tutorials on the web. you can even look on you tube.

I believe you meant to say "you should dowel any tiered cake".

As a general rule, every 4" of cake height should have a support system.
Because your tiers are only 1 layer each and you'll probably be serving them separately, you might as well support them separately as well.

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 6:14am
post #4 of 7

Yes you do. icon_wink.gif I always use them whwn stacking cakes. icon_biggrin.gif

Niffer817 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niffer817 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 6:19am
post #5 of 7

Thanks! I'm in the process of doing it. It's easier than I thought.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 10:36am
post #6 of 7

They are never needed if you use SPS. icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niffer817

I'm making a 3 tier cake. Each is only 1 layer but filled. Do I need dowel rods? I've never stacked a cake before, so this is all new. I'm prepared to do it, but if I don't need to I'd like to wait for another time. lol

I'm not certain what you're describing here.

A layer is generally only 1" or 2" tall. A tier consists of 2 or more layers the same size put together (resulting in something 3+ inches tall) or a single 3"+ tall cake, usually torted and filled.

If each cake is only one, 2" layer, then you don't need support until you put the top layer on. The general rule of thumb is supports every 4 inches of cake.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%