Rough Looking Buttercream/putting Fondant On Buttercream

Decorating By Kelliskakes Updated 30 Aug 2010 , 5:10pm by Loucinda

Kelliskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelliskakes Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 4:14am
post #1 of 6

i made some fondant pieces that i want to adhere to the buttercream. what is the best way to do this and will they stick? (especially on the side of a cake)

Also what is the best way to smooth out my buttercream? it looks rough.

5 replies
KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 4:29am
post #2 of 6

You can use water or gumpaste glue (made from gumpaste mix and water). I use both.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 6:11am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelliskakes

Also what is the best way to smooth out my buttercream? it looks rough.

Rough or airy? If it's smooth to begin with, it will go on smooth. If it's airy, it was probably due to whipping in air because you mixer's paddle wasn't completely covered. Next time, try making a batch that's large enough to fill your mixing bowl to the top. This time, you can try whipping it a little more with your spatula until it looks smooth.

If rough refers to the way you're applying it, try smoothing your final coat with one swipe of your spatula or scraper. (a good turntable is a must for this.) It might be helpful to use a hot knife.

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 6

The viva towel method is great for smoothing any crusting icing.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 6

I dab a bit of water on the back of the fondant before sticking it to the cake. This hasn't failed me yet. It works pretty good. But, you can also use a dot of buttercream icing to help attach. Works good also.

As far as smoothing the icing, The viva towel method is perfect! I recently started using this method and have had rave reviews on how smooth the cake looks.

Hope this helps!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 6

I use water or buttercream too, depending on the weight of the fondant piece. I also use viva...and sugarshack's buttercream recipe.

Here is a cake (95 degree heat here) that I attached the fondant ribbon and bow with buttercream. The viva method makes it so smooth, a lot of folks think my cakes are fondant!

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/photo.php?pid=31428537&fbid=1461623904118&id=1339078711

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%