Icing Vs Fondant Concern..

Decorating By jenscreativity Updated 29 Aug 2010 , 3:12pm by BethLS

jenscreativity Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 2:16am
post #1 of 9

OK, SO I DO A LOT OF JUST ICING CAKES AND I GET SOO FRUSTRATED ON TRYING TO SMOOTH OUT MY ICING WITHOUT IT CRACKING..ANY TIPS? I DO THE HOT SPATULA AND VIVA METHODS..BUT MY ICING SEEMS ROUGH LOOKING STILL AFTER I DO ALL OF THAT..WHY ON EARTH??

ALSO, FONDANT COSTS MORE OF COURSE, BUT ANY TIPS ON SELLING IT MORE THAN ICED CAKES?? I'M TIRED OF DOING JUST ICING CAKES? PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO BUY 4.00 PER SLICE FOR FONDANT HERE IN CALIFORNIA!! DON'T UNDERSTAND IT.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON ICING VS FONDANT? ANY GOOD TIPS?

THANKS SO MUCH!
jENIFER

8 replies
jenscreativity Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 2:18am
post #2 of 9

ALSO, FORGOT TO MENTION..I DOUBLE/TRIPLE UP MY BOARDS NOW,,SO THAT WAS WHAT MY PROBLEM WAS WHEN I MOVED IT,,IT WAS CRACKLY..BUT NOW, I DON'T EVEN MOVE IT AND IT LOOKS ROUGH..

catlharper Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 9

Hi there,

Don't know where you live but I live in No. CA and have no problem charging a starting price of $4 per serving. You may need to re-evaluate what the market will bare in your area if you live in a more rural area.

As for the icing...what recipe are you using? I use IndyDebi's and love it. I do add 1/3 cup more shortening to the recipe to make it a little less crusty and a little more smooth. I also beat the crisco for a LONG time...20-30 mins and then add the other ingredients and beat it for 20-30 mins. This all helps the icing be smoother.

Cat

jenscreativity Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:16am
post #4 of 9

THANK YOU catlharper !

I'm in North San Diego area..crazy..but thanks! People are not poor really here. Wierd..

Can you give me that buttercream recipe from IndyDebis recipe? I would love that! After you put your final layer on,,is it real smooth and do you do the Viva/ hot spatula method?? If so, which one? I really could use all of your advice. Frustrated here..Thanks! icon_confused.gif

jenifer

tokazodo Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:32am
post #5 of 9

I use the viva method also and I love it.
I'm with catlharper, I'm thinking you might need to check on your buttercream recipe. I think we need to adjust recipes for the areas for which we live. Humid, Dry, cooler, warmer...

Personally, I don't think $4.00 per serving is much for cake. You need to charge what it is worth. You also have to remember, that not everyone can do what you do. Have you taken classes and invested in your skills? You need to charge for that.

Good Luck, I hope this helps!

catlharper Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:34am
post #6 of 9

Ok, so the recipe is as follows:

Indydebis Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing
Ingredients
1-1/3 cups Cricso
1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (*)
2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on your personal taste
2 lbs powdered sugar
(*) A powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods, usually found in the cake/sugar aisle in the grocery.

Instructions
Theres no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix the crisco for 20-30 mins then add all but the powdered sugar for a minute or two, then gradually add the sugar, but the only reason I did this was to avoid the sugar-splash factor. Then I mix for 20-30 mins longer. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Now this is a very stiff recipe so you may want to loosen it up by adding more milk. I make a double batch and move the milk up to one full cup and the crisco up to 3 cups, the dream whip to 6 TBS, the vanilla to 5TBS and 4lbs powdered sugar. This still crusts but not as stiff and hard as the original recipe. Since we both live in CA and the weather is about the same this alteration should work for you.

I rarely do a BC final coat, tend towards fondant instead, but when I do and need it to be smooth I do the Viva towel method. With this recipe it works like a dream!

Cat

jenscreativity Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 2:03am
post #7 of 9

great from both of you! Yes, I did take classes a long time ago. I understand the price should be ,,but a matter of people wanting to pay it!

On the recipe..with milk included, the icing doesn't melt or anything right?? And it has to be refridgerated at all times due to the milk, right?? I don't mind,,,just want to make sure. I'm looking forward to trying this. Thank you and you don't crumb coat, I take it, right? It sounds like you just put it on and smooth out with viva method right? Sorry for all these questions..I just want to get this right.

Also, one more question, is there any problems with using coloring on this recipe like deep reds, blacks, or any color? I just never used milk for this icing type.

Thanks again!

catlharper Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 2:46am
post #8 of 9

Nope, it's shelf stable. Just keep it in something like tupperware for freshness. The amount of sugar counteracts any spoilage. And I ALWAYS crumbcoat. I like having a smooth surface for my final coat.

As for coloring...the deepest color I've used this with is purple and I was able to go very dark with it and had no change in taste.

Cat

BethLS Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 9

To the OP, I just wanted to say I tried Indydebi's icing recipe yesterday for some cupcakes I made (just because I wanted to try the icing!) and all I can say is, WOW! I mean, I still LOVE my buttercream recipe, but for outdoor events this will be my go-to icing. Also, this icing is nowhere near as "sweet" as mine, which is great if I have a customer that doesn't have as big as a sweet tooth as I do *wink*.

Have a good one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%