Grainy Sugarshack Icing

Decorating By Skidoochic Updated 28 Aug 2010 , 9:58pm by lecrn

Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 6

I have read all the posts on this that I could find, but there was one thing that wasn't mentioned if it works or not...letting it sit overnight? I am not sure what that do, but I will try anything as I have about $15 in ingredients ready to go in the garbage if I can't save this.

I know I screwed the recipe up - I didn't use enough coffee creamer, but adding it now is making it grainier. For the record - I used 5 generous cups of Crisco (which has worked before when I make this), 2T Butavan, 12 T hot coffee creamer and 5 lbs of C&H powdered sugar.

Any ideas?

5 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 1:17am
post #2 of 6

I don't know what the issue would be, I have never had a problem, but I always use sweetex to make it.

Maybe it was not enough creamer? Had you used that container of crisco before?

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 1:38am
post #3 of 6

Actually most of the threads on grainy buttercream are blamed on a bad batch of powdered sugar. I had this happen. Repurchased everything and tried a different brand of PS, used the exact same recipe and it was fine. You can let it sit and the moisture may solve the problem but no promises. Don't trash the BC cream though. You can use it for practiceicon_smile.gif Good luck.

Skidoochic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skidoochic Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 3:33am
post #4 of 6

It's been about three hours and no improvement. It was a brand new thing of Crisco. icon_cry.gif
I guess I will just have to chalk this one up as mysterious. And the idea to practice with it is a good one. It fills a huge Tupperware bowl, so I am just heartbroken over this. For my cake tonight, I went back to the tried and true Wilton buttercream recipe. icon_sad.gif

Thanks for your suggestions! I appreciate it.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 6

Even if you can't get Sweetex/hi-ratio, making this icing with Crisco may be part of the problem. I know others have done it, but I never could. Can't tell you how many batches I used to practice with or fill cakes with because they were just not right for a final icing coat.

I don't use hi-ratio, but I do use shortening WITH trans-fats, and this made all the difference for me. Crisco has no trans-fats and apparently this is an issue. A lot of store brands contain trans-fats, so maybe give those a try.

I've been making this icing for months now with trans-fat shortening and it comes out DREAMY. Good luck...don't give up!

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 6

It may be your powered sugar as suggested. I've used the store brand with grainy results once. I only use Domino now & haven't had any graininess. Also, was your creamer HOT? Maybe you can add some additional very hot creamer. It may make it thinner, but maybe you can use it as filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%