[B]Help Please[/b]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fondant Cracking

Decorating By ElizabethBennette Updated 28 Aug 2010 , 5:39pm by ElizabethBennette

ElizabethBennette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethBennette Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 4

I have made MM fondant twice now and it is fine the day or so after I make it, but after a little while it seems to dry up. I have added Crisco by the gobs, I've also tried Microwaving it but it still crackes REALY BAD. Any suggestions? icon_confused.gif

3 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 4

It could be that your fondant is too cold. try zapping it for about 5 seconds and see if that helps with the cracking. If not it could be a simple case of not enough water in it. Try taking a small piece and kneading water into it. Wet your fingers with some water and massage it into the fondant. Hope this helps.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 4

Sounds like air is getting to the fondant. I double wrap mine AND put it into a plastic tub and into the refridgerator if I'm not using the day after making it. Then I take it out, microwave it from 15-60 seconds till it's plyable again and then knead it for at least 10 minutes till soft and stretchy. Rule of thumb, sticky = powdered sugar, dry/cracking = crisco needed. BUT if you let it sit out and air to get to it then it will harden up...great if you have already formed figures and want them to dry but not great if you want to roll the fondant to cover a cake. So, my question is...how are you storing it? What is your routine after smearing it with crisco and double wrapping it after first making it?

Cat

ElizabethBennette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethBennette Posted 28 Aug 2010 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the suggestions. @ Catlharper, I keep my fondant in a food saver air tight bags so I don't think thats the problem. @ Reenie I'll try putting water in it to see how that works. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%